Chapter Twenty

"The seas have lifted up, Lord, the seas have lifted up their voice; the seas have lifted up their pounding waves. Mightier than the thunder of the great waters, mightier than the breakers of the sea—the Lord on high is mighty." – Psalm 93:3-4

Cole learned, in just a few short minutes, there was nothing a glazed donut and a cup of coffee couldn't fix. He was currently sitting in his Volkswagen with his feet propped on the dashboard. In one hand he held a Styrofoam cup of cold milk, and in the other a half-eaten glazed donut.

He knew it wasn't the healthiest snack, but it hit the spot. After the scary surf session that morning, he was gearing up to shred a better—and less dangerous—spot. That meant he needed fuel. Not even six slices of pepperoni pizza from Papa John's was going to cut it. He was determined to get Alana's attention at the next surf spot, so he needed all the energy he could get.

Cole wasn't content with merely talking to Alana every now and then. Though she had certainly warmed up to him, especially after his help during her accident at Huntington Pier, their relationship hadn't moved on since then. The sought-after couple status Cole was planning on didn't even seem to be on the radar. If they kept going at this rate, Cole was sure to be friend-zoned for the rest of his life—or slowly whittled out of Alana's life altogether.

I have to do something drastic, he thought as he took another bite of his donut. Something eye-catching. Something Alana will love.

Therein lay the problem. What else did Alana love except surfing? She enjoyed reading her Bible and going to church, but Cole wasn't a church type of guy. Having a Bible study wasn't his thing.

He was running out of ideas.

Cole narrowed his eyes as he studied the waves in front of him. He was currently parked at Blackies, in direct view of the ocean. Technically he was still in Newport Beach, just eight lifeguards stands away from where the gang had surfed that morning at 54th Street jetty. The now-rising tide and shape of the beach helped to create some smaller—and safer—conditions at Blackies. The semi-choppy waves rolling in actually looked pretty fun. Maybe I should paddle out after I finish this donut...

Cole guzzled the last of his coffee and stuffed the rest of his donut in his mouth. Wiping his sticky fingers on his boardshorts, he slid out of the van and walked around to the other side. The guys were messing around with Jake's guitar while Alana and Maya were playing cards.

"Anyone up for a surf?" Cole asked.

Everyone's head immediately shot up. "Sure, but the waves aren't that exciting," Blaine replied.

Jake stopped strumming his guitar. He peered at the waves for a few moments. "Eh, why not. I'll paddle out."

"Me too." Alana grinned, and Cole felt a smile of his own spreading on his face.

He unzipped his board bag, pulled out his 5'8", and fastened the leash around his ankle. "See you guys in the water," he called.

The trek across the sand took a mere thirty seconds—nowhere close to the immense distance of Venice or Huntington. The paddle to the lineup was just as quick. The waves were a fun, playful size, with quite a few surfers out. The afternoon sun glinted golden off the whitecaps in the water.

Cole paddled away from a large group of surfers to a less populated area of the lineup. The waves seemed to be breaking fine the entire length of the beach. Once he discovered where the peaks were popping up, he got into position and dropped into a clean three-footer. He made a few quick cutbacks before setting up for a closing maneuver. Just as the section in front of him collapsed, he twisted his hips and pulled a deep bottom turn. This set him up for a vertical off-the-lip that he narrowly executed. He rode the whitewater back down to the trough and hopped off his board.