Chapter Thirty

"For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved." – Romans 10:13

Blaine trudged downstairs in sweatpants and a loose T-shirt, stifling a massive yawn with the back of his hand. He turned into the kitchen and grabbed a glass from the cupboard. After filling it up in the sink, he took a long draught and settled back against the counter.

"Hey," Cole said wearily, rounding the corner.

Blaine raised an eyebrow. "Hey yourself." He eyed his twin and realized just how exhausted Cole looked. His droopy eyes and hunched shoulders gave off the appearance of a weary traveler. "You okay?"

"Just tired." Cole offered a small smile and grabbed his own glass from the cupboard. "You know, Dad hasn't lectured me yet."

Blaine shrugged. "I think he overlooked the fact that you ran away after you saved Tammy's life."

"Yeah. I'm still expecting a long talk, though."

Blaine moved aside to let Cole fill up his glass in the sink. "Hey, if you don't mind me asking, where did you go last night?"

"You aren't wondering why I ditched you?"

"I already know why you left us."

Cole stared at him. "Yeah, I guess the reason for my disappearance was pretty obvious." A flicker of emotions crossed his face, but Blaine sensed his brother was hiding something.

"Look, you don't have to tell me if you don't want to, but the gang has been wondering where you went," Blaine said. "There's no hard feelings, believe me—not after you rescued Tammy. But everyone is curious."

Cole twirled his glass around in his palm. He still hadn't taken a sip. "You can tell them I was driving," he said after a lengthy silence. "I was driving and didn't pay attention to where I was going. I ended up sleeping in my van and waking up the next morning in Ventura. Then I happened to be walking along the pier when I saw Tammy."

Blaine knew he was lying. He was as sure of it as he was of the fact that Cole had ditched them because of Alana. Though Blaine didn't know all of the details, he figured something had to have happened between Cole and Alana that made his brother run off. They had been distant ever since their visit to Salt Creek.

Cole obviously sensed his twin's hesitation. "Take it or leave it," he said curtly. "That's my explanation."

"You don't have to do this," Blaine said quietly. "You can tell me. I won't tell the others if you don't want me to."

Cole shook his head. "I can't. There are some things that I just can't tell anybody, okay?"

Blaine wondered if his brother had done something that he was too ashamed to talk about. The two had a staring match for a few seconds. Finally, Blaine sighed and drained the rest of his glass, realizing that this was one conversation where Cole wouldn't give in. Blaine placed his now-empty glass in the sink. "Alright," he said. "I'll take it. You should really get some sleep, though."

"Actually, I've hardly slept all night." Cole ran his finger around the rim of his glass. "I became a Christian today."

If Blaine still had any water in his mouth, he would have spit it out right then and there. "You what?"

Cole rolled his eyes. "Is that everyone's answer when I say that? Sheesh."

Blaine grabbed his shoulders. "Dude! That is awesome!"