Chapter Twenty-One

"For who is God, but the Lord? And who is a rock, except our God?—the God who equipped me with strength and made my way blameless. He made my feet like the feet of a deer and set me secure on the heights." – Psalm 18:31-33

Alana was glad for the short drive to Corona del Mar. If it had been any longer, she probably would have died of embarrassment. Though the gang sensed she needed some time to herself and were too considerate to bombard her with questions, she could tell they were itching to ask what had happened.

And Alana knew exactly what had happened. She shuddered and slid deeper into her sweatshirt. She didn't want to remember, not after working so hard to forget, but the sight of those waves was too raw. Too powerful.

Cole parked on the corner of Ocean and Poppy. A gust of wind—the first they had experienced all day—hit them in the face when the gang stepped out of their vehicles. Below a stormy gray sky, the ocean stretched as far as the eye could see, fringed by a rocky coast. Large houses were positioned at the edge of cliffs leading down to the beach.

"It's beautiful," Maya said.

Alana nodded. "It really is."

The sound of her voice broke the spell. Everyone suddenly began talking and moving at the same time. "Okay, we need to bring shoes and wetsuits," Blaine instructed.

"We're going in the water?" Jake asked. "Now? But it's freezing!"

"Well, technically we aren't surfing," Blaine replied vaguely. "We're gonna do a little exploring and we may have to get wet." He smiled slyly.

Alana numbly pulled on her fullsuit and a pair of booties, being careful not to aggravate her scab in the process. The wind whipped her hair in front of her eyes, so she pulled it back in a tight ponytail. She was cold and hungry—two more things to add to her list of complaints. Though the shock from the Wedge was wearing off, it had been replaced by embarrassment. She felt like a coward for running away from the gang.

Alana pursed her lips. No, she hadn't been running from the gang. She had been running from her past.

Another chill ran down her spine, though it wasn't from the cold wind. She forced herself to think happier thoughts and not dwell on the events of that morning. The Wedge was behind her. They weren't going back. There was no reason for her to be so afraid.

But the fear hanging over her like a dark cloud felt like shackles on her wrists, pinning her down, forcing her to remember what she tried so hard to forget.

"Alana."

Maya's voice shattered Alana out of her thoughts. Alana realized she was breathing hard. "Oh, sorry," she said, mortified.

"It's okay. Um, the gang is leaving..."

Alana caught a glimpse of a cherry-red sports car zipping around the corner, music blaring. As soon as the noise subsided, she said, "I'm coming!" She tried to ignore the worried tone in Maya's voice as they ran to catch up with the others.

They passed a sign reading Corona del Mar State Beach before descending a steep driveway to the beach. For a bleak summer day, there were lots of people on the sand and splashing in the water. Though the waves weren't suitable for surfing, some kids were swimming or riding bodyboards. Most of the people were climbing near the tidepools on the shore, curiously studying the sea life at their fingertips.