Ben Drowned Part 2

I tried my best to be there for her. After I had seen her that Christmas morning, I didn't want to leave. I noticed the difference in her hair, she told me that she had been feeling tired lately. I had assumed that it was normal with the kind of prescription that she had been taken. Her wide eyes were different. The way her lips seemed to curve downwards as she opens the door... Or maybe it was the fact that she didn't answer my messages for the past week. I admit that she didn't tell me what was wrong, but I had to figure it out on my own. I wish she wanted to show that weak side of herself to me.

I still think back to the time when she preferred me to kill her. She did not want to tell me about her cancer and would rather have made me believe she wanted to leave me. No explanation. Why did she assume I would kill her? She listened to me when I opened up to her about my family not telling her anything but their personalities. She would hold my hand and make me look at her as I spoke about something sad or embarrassing. Her beautiful smile would always extinguish my anger.

"Ben" her voice rang out next to me.

"Hm?" I turned my attention from our intertwined fingers to her ashen face.

"They called my name" my eyes widened as I nodded immediately sat up in my uncomfortable chair. She let go of my hand to grab her tote bag from the floor and stood up.

"Oh, well...I will be right out here if you need me" I tried to muster up a smile but failed miserably.

"Okay..." she barely whispered standing awkwardly in front of me slipping the bag back on her shoulder.

"I love you" I stared into her eyes wanting to give her all of my love and encouragement while giving her the distance she wants.

"....I love you too" she finally cracked a small smile shaking her head as she followed the short nurse. I watched her until she disappeared from my line of sight. I closed my eyes feeling them change from blue to red underneath my eyelids as I tried to suppress my frustration and sadness. I thought back to what I saw EJ tell Pupp. I breathed in for seven seconds held it for five and let it all out as slowly as I could. I heard shuffling next to me and saw a woman sitting next to me watching a woman in a scooter drive out the door my girlfriend left. She was gazing down at her hands her short curly hair framing her tired face. I scanned the room noticing how empty the room suddenly was. I shifted uncomfortably glancing at the woman again when she turned abruptly meeting my eyes.

"I am sorry but I couldn't help noticing you when I walked in" her eyes remained shut and her voice trembled a little.

"You seemed to be feeling the same way I have been. I don't really have anyone to talk to so..." she clenched her fists exhaling loudly.

"Oh?" I spoke not knowing what I should do.

"If you don't mind me asking...who are you here for?"

"My girlfriend"

"Really? You look so young..." her voice trailed off glancing my way.

"Yeah, I am sixteen and she's seventeen."

"Oh...I am nineteen" she opened her eyes and smiled a little.

"Who are you here for?" I asked after what seemed like hours of an awkward silence.

"M-My mom."

"Oh..."

"Yeah..."

"How's that going? Fu-I mean I am sorry. I don't know how to talk in situations like this."

"It's okay I was the same way when I was younger. It's hard to know what to say around them or the family in general." She shrugged staring at the tile floor.