13

Chris places his hands on top of his head and takes a deep breath. An old man, the doctor, walks into the room.

"Mr. Dallas, how are feeling?" he asks in a raspy voice.

"Eh," I cough.

"You took a pretty nasty hit. You were very lucky, most people who face this injury die in a matter of seconds.". that doesn't make me feel any better.

"Is there any family you'd like to call, so they know your okay?" he asks. I remember when I broke my arm a few years ago, they asked me if I wanted to call Des.

I go to open my mouth, but the words tangle in my throat. "No." Chris answers for me.

"You sure? I thought you have a wi-".

"No." Chris interrupts," He's fine.". But the thing is, I'm not. I'm not fine, I'm the exact opposite.

I try speaking, but I cough instead. "You really shouldn't speak." The doctor says.

"But." I cough.

"Do you want to get better, or not?" he raises an eyebrow. I roll my eyes and close my mouth.

My worst nightmare has come true. My daughter and my wife are probably dead and I'm in the hospital with crushed lungs that are filled with blood.

It's sickening. Life isn't fare. Life isn't worth it. I thought that when my daughter was born, life would be better. But it's not.

Life's worse. I have no regret about Ellie, but I wish Damian never existed. He ruined Desserea's life, Eleanor's life, my life.

Leaving them was the worst mistake of my life. Leaving Des and Ellie alone, is my biggest regret.

Des and Ellie deserve better, much better. If I was dead, Damian would be happy and everything would be easier, much easier.

"How'd they get Des and Ellie?" I ask Chris.

"Damian sent some people to kidnap them.".

"This can't be happening, it just can't be," I rub my temples, fighting back tears.

"Cameron, I know your upset but-".

"No, Chris! You don't know! You have no idea what's going on! You've tried to help, but it's useless!". Chris slumps down into his chair.

"I'm sorry, it's just Ellie's a baby and Des is my wife. It's complicated." I sigh.

I hear a ring. I turn and see my phone, ringing. I pick it up and press it to my ear.

"Hello?" I cough.

"Cam, help me! Please! I need you, know!" I hear Des cry.

"D-" I loose my breath and cough. Then, the line goes dead.