Chapter 26

Copyright © 2010-2012 by Kymberlee Elliott. This work is protected under the Copyright, Designs and Patent Act of 1988. All rights are reserved; any infringement of this copyright can be punishable by law. Infrigements include any unauthorised selling, broadcasting, copying, duplication or distribution of the work.

Chapter Twenty Six

I am pretty sure Death felt livelier than I did when I woke up. I stayed in bed not bothering to move or even turn on the light, I just curled up in the foetal position and tried to cry some more. I would have succeeded if I had any tears left, but sadly they were all soaked in to my pillow. I felt hollow, I hadn’t realised how much space I had gifted Kit in my head and heart and now that he was gone I felt like an empty husk. The only reason I finally left my bed was that lying there and remembering the events of the day before made me feel worse. Staggering from the bed to the bathroom I managed to have a shower, but I didn't bother dressing to impress, I literally threw on a pair of sweats and a long sleeve t-shirt. My shields were shot to shit and my head was already pounding so I rummaged through my draws until I found a pair of gloves and my mp3 player which I hadn’t bothered using recently. Ironically the first song to play was Someone Like You by Adele. I snorted at the cosmic irony and skipped until The Killers came on. Settling on that I contemplated leaving my bedroom and decided against it, I just sat back on my bed and zoned out.

I wasn't sure how long I had sat there as the curtains were still firmly closed. People had knocked, but I stayed silent. Finally I heard raised voices, which preceded my door being kicked in, I barely reacted. When I looked up Marissa was standing in the doorway looking furious, which considering the fact that she looked like an angel made me smile.

‘What are you doing in here Oracle?’

‘Seeing if it is possible to die of self pity. This is valid research Marissa so with all due respect get out.’ She sneered at me and moved further in to the room yanking open the curtains as she went.

‘Get up.’ I didn't even bother responding. She clenched her jaw and marched over to face me planting her fists on her hips. ‘Get up!’ Again I didn't move until she reached for my earphones. As she did she grazed my skin and with my total lack of shielding it felt like a shard of glass slicing through my brain. I screeched and lurched back making Marissa stumble and reach to steady herself. Unfortunately she touched more skin and my screaming intensified.

The oil spill that Cherrick had placed in her moved and the overwhelming wrongness of it made me recoil physically and mentally. I pushed her away and crab walked up my bed to put the wall at my back, gripping my hair and screaming at the pain – it had never been this bad before.

I was dimly aware of Marissa being led out and Owen rushing in, he took one look at me and screamed for Moira, but I knew she wouldn’t be able to help me; with my shields down every psychic within 5 miles will be struggling with the backlash of my psychic breakdown. In desperation Owen shouted for Bryant to get Kit, but I knew he wouldn’t come. Thoughts, feelings and memories battered against the inside of my head and I felt the tell tale drip of blood on my top lip. I was burning out fast. A calming presence entered and I realised it was Mr C, but as he moved closer I flinched away, I was beyond help now.

‘Make it stop! MAKE IT STOP.’ I was screaming and beating my hands against my head, but I wouldn’t allow anyone close enough to me to help. Finally Dominic came running in to my room. He looked terrified and I realised why, I was burning out, I could feel my brain frying and the synapses dying.

‘Isabel let us help you.’ He reached for me, but I could feel his fear and pity and it hurt!

‘I can feel you! Get away from me...GET AWAY.’ He stumbled back as I lashed out mentally at him. I stood and felt the steady drip from my nose turn in to a raging flood. The faces around me paled and I heard a deafening roar and then I passed out.