Chapter 3

Copyright © 2010-2012 by Kymberlee Elliott. This work is protected under the Copyright, Designs and Patent Act of 1988. All rights are reserved; any infringement of this copyright can be punishable by law. Infrigements include any unauthorised selling, broadcasting, copying, duplication or distribution of the work.

Chapter 3

The next day I got up feeling like crap. I hadn't slept well, my parents had stayed up late in to the night talking about me and how my attitude was already changing. My mum was pleased that I seemed to like the place and my dad was pleased that I wasn't screaming at anyone. Rob cried before he went to bed and said a prayer. I felt tears track down my face as I heard what he was asking. He wanted me to be ok and come home and be the little sister I had been when we were younger, back before my gift had fallen upon me. I showered and dressed in black jeans, a plain black tee, black gloves and a black jacket with my biker boots. I took a look in the mirror as I twisted my hair up. The piercing in my nose glittered red. I grinned seeing the metal in my tongue and then turned my head seeing the rings that lined both my ears flash in the light. Feeling better I slipped in to my backpack and grabbed my bag. Rob took it from me and carried it downstairs. He calmly told mum he was taking today off to see me off at the airport and then got us both some cereal. I took it from him and we ate in silence while dad got ready for the drive.

Two hours later I was waiting at the check in line of JFK airport. I checked my bag and then turned back to my family. Mum was sobbing and dad and Rob both looked like they wanted to. I hugged everyone before slipping my Oakley sun glasses on. I grinned and motioned to the check in behind me. 'I guess I should go, I'll ring you when I get there and don't worry about me I am sure I won't get kicked out of this school.' My mum's laughter was what I heard as I turned around and headed in to the departure lounge.  

I dislike flying at the best of times, I don't like enclosed spaces and I definitely don't like being cut off from the wind. Inside the aeroplane I was too close to people and their thoughts and feelings. Shivering and shifting even closer to the window and away from the man sitting next to me who was slumping further and further my way. Closing my eyes against the headache that was building I leaned back and tried to sleep something told me I was going to need all the energy I could get. Minutes later I realised it wasn't going to happen so I gazed about. People weren't talking. One thing I had noticed on the plane was that people don't make idle chit chat, they were watching films, listening to music or reading. People watching was a past time of mine, I knew a lot about how people thought and what they did, but I wasn't very good in social situations. Avoiding people like the plague and spending most of my time alone meant I didn't know a lot about body language and subtle nuances in tone. People watching helped.

It took about three hours to get from NYC to OC which was where I was being picked up by Red Oaks. I disembarked and waited for my luggage. I was leaving baggage claim when I saw my name on a sign. I headed that way parting people once they caught sight of me. I was six feet one in my boots, made even scarier by the fact that I was dressed head to toe in black. I reached the man with the sign who looked up at me and swallowed. 'Miss Depardieu?' 

'Call me Izzy.' He nodded and then took my bag. I followed him to a black car and slid in the passenger seat. I wasn't a big talker when it came to strangers so I was happy that he seemed more inclined to swear at the other people on the road than make conversation with the six foot Goth in his car. It took an hour before we started climbing and finally I saw the compound. It looked like a normal school, a red brick building split in to three, I already knew the two wings were the dorms, one for the boys and one for the girls, with the building in the middle housing the classrooms. The only unusual addition was the ten foot barbed wire fence around the whole compound complete with what looked to be cameras mounted on poles. The electronic gates slid open and closed quickly behind the car. I could see three people waiting in front of the middle building and sighed; the lynch squad. The car cruised to a stop and I opened the door. I unfolded myself and stretched, normal seats weren't designed for people with legs as long as mine. I grabbed my backpack and turned the volume up on my iPod. My chauffeur grabbed my duffel and I walked to stand in front of the group. The woman glanced at my headphones and raised an eyebrow. 'I can hear you perfectly if that is what you were wondering.' The woman pursed her lips as the man next to her smiled; at least I think he smiled it was more just a facial spasm but it made me feel better to imagine he smiled. The small girl next to them grinned openly. The woman cocked her hand and motioned my iPod and earphones. I felt a brief moment of panic and shook my head. 'I need them to concentrate otherwise my behaviour deteriorates.'