Chapter 31

Copyright © 2010-2012 by Kymberlee Elliott. This work is protected under the Copyright, Designs and Patent Act of 1988. All rights are reserved; any infringement of this copyright can be punishable by law. Infrigements include any unauthorised selling, broadcasting, copying, duplication or distribution of the work.

Chapter 31

I took one last look at Kit as he walked away from me and then took a deep breath. This was it the first real test of who I was meant to be; I was getting better flexing my mental muscles, but I still wasn't very good around people and especially people I didn't like. A butterfly light touch at my elbow turned my attention away from my introspection. Focusing back on the people around me I saw five pairs of luminescent eyes scrutinising me carefully. I looked at each one of them and was struck by how young they looked.

‘How old are you?’ The leader smiled and tipped his head.

‘We are much older than you think and we look. Shifters’ mature slower than humans do and then we need more schooling to make sure we are safe to be loose around others.’ I nodded and raised a brow.

‘Soooo how old are you?’ He tipped his head back and laughed long and loud startling me and the others.

‘I was a man grown when your parents were children.’ It took me a second to understand what he said and then my jaw dropped. That would make him old enough to me my grandfather and he didn't say how long he had been a ‘man grown’ he could be my great grandfather. I nodded slowly causing amused glances to slide around me.

‘What are your names?’  The leader who also happened to be the chattiest volunteered the information again.

‘I am Cabel; these are my brothers Xian and Morgan and my sisters Tabitha and Rochelle.’ I nodded to each in turn filing their names away. Tabitha, a tall wiry red head nodded in the direction of Dominic’s rooms.

‘We should leave now Oracle; while I agree we should not arrive first if we wait too long the Pretender will think we fear him.’ I chuckled when I realised the Pretender was van der Haansen. I started down the hall barely noticing when the Faithless fell in to step around me.

You know those dreams where you are walking or running but you aren’t getting anywhere; that was what the walk felt like, except all of a sudden the dream ended like a bubble bursting and I was suddenly outside Dominic’s room. Taking a deep breath and clearing my thoughts I reached for the door and pushed it open stepping in confidently. There was no room for weakness here. Looking about I saw Dom, Jovvick and Darrick; the latter was surrounded by his guard and was the only one that didn't bother to get up when I entered.

Smiling warmly at Jovvick and more blandly at Dom, I didn't bother acknowledging Darrick at all. Moving to an empty chair I sat and watched carefully as both Darrick and his guards watched the Faithless cautiously. Finally when everyone was in position Darrick turned to me and smiled, but before he could say anything I spoke.

‘Are you ready yet to explain why you attempted to breach my mental shields?’ Absolute silence met my words, but what annoyed me more was the patronising look Darrick and Dom shared before the former turned to me.

‘Izzy you are tired and worn out with good reason, why since you have arrived you have been attacked no less than three times, with that in mind, it is perfectly understandable why you would invent an attack to act more mature than you are.’ I felt the rage rising, flooding every cell in my entire body, but I made sure not a flicker of emotion crossed my face. Smiling broadly and showing a lot of teeth, I was shocked to notice some of the guards recognised the action for what it was; a threat.