Chapter 27

Copyright © 2010-2012 by Kymberlee Elliott. This work is protected under the Copyright, Designs and Patent Act of 1988. All rights are reserved; any infringement of this copyright can be punishable by law. Infrigements include any unauthorised selling, broadcasting, copying, duplication or distribution of the work.

Chapter Twenty Seven

‘Izzy sweetheart how are you? I was just saying to your dad that we hadn’t heard from you, although Rob did say he spoke to you a couple of weeks ago.’

 ‘I’m good mum, just wanted to check in; you know make sure you are doing OK without me.’ She laughed and I heard my dad asking who it was in the background. ‘It’s Izzy, she sounds sad.’ I had a feeling she had covered the mouthpiece, but it wasn't working.

‘Mum I can still hear you and I am not sad, I am bored. There is nothing to blow up or graffiti here.’ There was silence and I rolled my eyes. ‘I’m joking mum, it’s ok here; my grades are improving and I have only had one detention since I started.’

‘Oh Izzy darling that is wonderful, maybe we could visit in your next holiday?’ I swallowed thickly. ‘I would like that. How are things at home?’

‘Oh well your dad bought a new lawnmower, but it was too big for him and he lost control and mowed a hole in the hedge.’ I could hear my dad grumbling and it made me smile. ‘You brother has some good news; Rob....ROB...IZZY IS ON THE PHONE.’ I yanked the phone away from my ear and saw Edge wince slightly.

‘Iz is everything ok?’ I closed my eyes as I listened to my twin. ‘Hey Iz you there?’

‘Yeah Rob, I’m here. I miss you.’ There was silence and I heard Rob clear his throat. ‘I really miss you too Iz, when do you think you’ll be coming home?’ I sighed.

‘I honestly don't know Rob, things have gotten...complicated.’
‘I know I passed out last week.’ I felt my jaw drop and saw Edge spin to face me his neck cracked. ‘Did you? What happened?’

‘I had a headache all day and then boom I passed out.’ Edge was now frantically gesturing to another Shifter, but I couldn’t hear what they were saying. ‘That was me Rob.’

‘I figured as much; what happened?’ I sighed and leant back against my pillows, I had no idea what to tell him or how much detail to give. ‘My shields dropped and I got a little...overwhelmed with everything so I passed out.’

‘Are you ok now?’ He sounded worried so I decided not to tell him what really happened. ‘I am fine, back to normal now, I just wanted to check in, but I have to go now, I don't get long on the phone in case it interferes with my rehabilitation.’

We said our goodbyes and I closed my eyes. Even though I hadn’t managed to talk to him like I wanted to, I still felt better. ‘I need to talk to you Iz.’ I cracked an eye and saw Edge hovering by my bed. ‘I am quite tired Edge can it wait?’ He must have seen something on my face because he nodded and sat on the chair by my bed.

It was moments like this I hated. When I wasn't doing anything and my thoughts turned to Kit. Curling up I watched Edge who was staring at me. ‘You feeling OK Iz?’ I nodded, but felt my eyes well up so I shut them quickly. I was pretending to fall asleep when I felt the bed dip behind me and a warm body press up against my back. ‘Edge what are you doing?’

‘Don't worry Oracle, to a Shifter this isn’t sexual, this is comfort from one person to another.’ I would have protested, but he was so warm and the hug felt nice so I nodded and drifted off.

I woke up and swallowed a scream when I came face to face with Shifter I didn't know. Something in my posture must have changed because Edge tightened his arm around me and leant up on one elbow. ‘Get off the bed Jinx.’ The Shifter tilted his head and watched Edge, allowing his eyes to drop and follow Edge’s arm as it trailed over my waist. Suddenly self conscious I sat up and Edge rolled away and out of the bed in the eerily graceful way I was beginning to really hate. Jinx hadn’t moved from the bed and was still staring at me without blinking. Shifting uncomfortably I managed to wriggle backwards until my back was against the headrest and sighed. Jinx moved until he was crouching on his heels and then he jerked forwards and trapped me between his knees and arms. Dipping his head I swallowed a gasp when I saw his red rimmed eyes and thin lips pulled back in a feral snarl. I saw movement and flicked my gaze across the room to see Edge frowning and flexing his shoulders.