Chapter 2

Copyright © 2010-2012 by Kymberlee Elliott. This work is protected under the Copyright, Designs and Patent Act of 1988. All rights are reserved; any infringement of this copyright can be punishable by law. Infrigements include any unauthorised selling, broadcasting, copying, duplication or distribution of the work.

Chapter 2

'You're sending me to a juvenile delinquent detention centre?!' I hadn't even shut the car door before I was screaming at my mum and dad. They looked at each other and I didn't need to be psychic to know that they were debating how to tell me. 'Izzy we don't know what to do anymore. You barely attend school, you don't make friends, you have been brought home by the police more times than we can keep track of, you have a serious attitude problem and we just don't know how to get through to you.' I glared at my dad before looking out of the window. 'I'm sorry I don't have the perfect life like Rob, I'm sorry you can't coast through your parenting and that once in a while you have to leave your perfect little bubbles and actually deal with me, but really a juvy?' I curled my lip as I glared at him through the rear-view mirror. He sighed and glanced at my mum. I really hated those parental looks, they only did it when they thought I was being childish and maybe I was but somehow I didn't think that my parents would stick to the three strikes thing and I definitely didn't think they would ship me off to juvy. My mum turned to face me and smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes. 'It isn't a juvenile delinquent detention centre Izzy it is a correctional facility for troubled teens.' I snorted and stared out the window. 'Same god damned thing mum. I make a little bit of trouble and instead of dealing with it you ship me off. Out of sight out of mind right?' Rationally I knew I was in the wrong, but damn it I was hurt, my parents were sending me away like it didn't bother them. Blinking rapidly to hide my tears I sat in silence as they drove me home. I got out of the car before my dad had even switched the engine off and was walking around the house to the woods behind it. 'Where do you think you are going young lady?' I turned to see my dad standing hands on hips. 'We are going inside to talk about this.' 

'What's the point, you are sending me away and nothing I do or say will make you change your mind so stop acting like this wasn't already a foregone conclusion. I'll be back before it gets dark to pack; I assume my plane tickets are already booked?' My dad looked away and my mum flushed making me smile in a bad way. 'I thought so.' With that I turned and stormed off in to the woods.

The woods calmed me better than any other place I have ever been. The serenity and peace and lack of other people eased that ache that built behind my eyes and deep in my brain. I felt the coils of tension leave my body and my shoulders relax. Taking a deep breath I left the path and began to trek to my secret place. Nobody explored these woods like me. The rest of my family walked the paths and Rob had come with me a few times when I hiked off road, but I was the only one that had spent any amount of real time here. It took a little over an hour to reach the spot and the minute I got there I felt one hundred times better. It was a clear patch amongst the trees with a small creek running around it. I slung my bag off and laid in the centre feeling the tears I had refused to shed earlier track down my face into my hairline. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. I could feel the animals around me but unlike other humans their brains weren't complex enough to register properly I let their energies touch me as they flitted about and finally drifted off in to an uneasy sleep. I woke quite a bit later if the light level was any indication. Realising I couldn't put off the inevitable I grabbed my bag and headed back home. Rob's car was parked behind my parent's making me swear proficiently in two languages. Opening the back door I stepped through and slammed it shut, the minute I did the voices I heard murmuring in the living room quietened. I shook my head and headed up the stairs. I hadn't even made it up three stairs before the lynch squad moved in behind me. I turned and raised an eyebrow. 'Yes can I help you?'