Chapter 28

Copyright © 2010-2012 by Kymberlee Elliott. This work is protected under the Copyright, Designs and Patent Act of 1988. All rights are reserved; any infringement of this copyright can be punishable by law. Infrigements include any unauthorised selling, broadcasting, copying, duplication or distribution of the work.

Chapter Twenty Eight

I waited patiently watching glances being exchanged right and left until finally Mari snorted and leant forward.

 ‘Right so after you went nova all freaking hell broke loose. You took two thirds of the psychics with you in your dark descent, maybe more and those that were left weren’t firing on all cylinders so they were swept away by their Guardians and holed up to heal, so we lost all our psychics and Guardians.

Next came the Shifters; it took about four hours for the effects of your shielding to be lost completely and then the effects of the locus seemed ten times worse than the first time round. There were spontaneous shifts left, right and centre and fights breaking out over anything. I thought for sure Cherrick was going to get them all locked up again, but Mr Carter sorted it himself, you were still freaking out so he put a guard on you who were masters at shielding themselves and all other Shifters were cloistered away in their rooms. Some of them ended up back in the cells because they were more volatile or dangerous.

I haven’t actually seen Cherrick that much since it all happened, I think he knows you have the locus and he is coming up with a plan B. I am doing OK no blackouts or anything; I hang around the Shifters because they seem to keep the oil spill at bay.’ Mari stopped and took a huge breath before leaning even closer to me.

‘That isn’t all; rumour has it Darrick van der Haansen is thinking of making a trip to see our favourite Oracle and watch his son participating in the Guardianship trials. Devon himself has been up to no good, he tried to get in to your room no less than three times the first week you were there until Owen had a not so polite conversation with him. While I am on the subject of Owen and Devon, you might need to let Devon know that Owen has been given orders to protect you almost like a head of security.’ I was furiously trying to take all this in and nodded absentmindedly to Mari.

So Derrick and Devon had scented weakness and were circling for the kill. I grit my teeth, I was still too new to this to be able to plot and plan an offense and there was no-one I trusted with my life except Mari and Kit; one of which was compromised and the other hated me. Slumping backwards in my chair I blew out a breath and swore fluently and vehemently in my head.

For a couple of minutes there was absolute silence at the table, but once again Mari broke it.

‘You didn't think I was finished did you? Dominic has barely been seen since you were hospitalised and Jovvick has been wandering around in full Viking regalia as if he expects the Malachai to be hiding around every corner.’

I snorted as I listened to Mari go on and on about how everyone had been on red alert and at some level my mind was taking it all in, but a greater part of my brain was thinking over the problems we still faced and how we could sort them. Chewing slowly on my lip I nodded absentmindedly barely noticing when Mari stopped and cleared her throat loudly.

'Are you even listening to me Oracle?' I nodded and when I was met by silence I dragged myself back to the present. 'Sorry Mari I was listening and could even recite word for word what you said, but I have been thinking of what I want done now. I want that locus destroyed once and for all so I can focus on shielding myself especially if the van der Haansen's are sniffing about. I need to be back on top form and I need it now.'

Everyone looked a little shocked and I am not surprised, I hadn't been the most decisive person since I got here, but things were changing. I levelled my gaze at them and saw Matt shift uncomfortably and Greg shoot him a glare. I frowned and narrowed my gaze and actually rocked backwards in my seat when I brushed up against a solid brick wall. Greg was shielding and he was doing it hard. I raised an eyebrow but withdrew my mind from his causing him to gape at me. 'I am not a mental rapist Greg, if you have something you don't want me to know I am not going to pry and besides if I tried to crack your shields I would probably cause permanent damage and I happen to like you too much.' He grinned and sank back in his chair, but Matt moved closer.