Rebound, But Newfound {21}

“Hello?” I asked, grabbing my vibrating cell phone.

                “Zeke? Get to the soccer field. Now. You’re going to want to see this,” Trace said and hung up.

                I stared at my phone in confusion before hurrying downstairs and out to my car. I made my way to the soccer field and saw Trace and Phil crouching together at the front of the school. Trace motioned me over and I went over to them.

                “What?” I asked in confusion.

                “Sh!” Trace snapped, yanking me down next to him.

                He pulled me over to the corner of the building and nodded. I peeked out around the corner and froze, my heart aching.

                Tommy and Juliet were sitting together on the bench. They were angled so that I could see their faces, but they couldn’t see me without turning. Juliet was holding Tommy’s hand in both of hers, smiling at him, a seductive look in her eyes.

                I ducked behind the school and stared at Trace and Phil, shock on my face. “What the hell?” I hissed.

                “We were wondering the same thing,” Trace said with a helpless shrug.

                I peeked back around, listening hard. I could hear their voices fairly clearly since they weren’t far away from where we were spying.

                “So you and Zeke are over?” Juliet asked.

                Tommy shrugged. “I didn’t officially end it, but I think so. I just couldn’t deal with it anymore,” he said, and I winced.

                “I do love his name, and he is cute, but he was fucking with you. Besides, you’re cuter Tommy,” Juliet said, that seductiveness in her voice now.

                Tommy’s lips twitched, nearly forming a grin. “Zeke isn’t his real name. It’s just his nickname,” he said, and I felt my cheeks heating up slightly. Oh god. He wouldn’t tell that bitch, would he?

                “What are they saying?” Trace whispered curiously.

                “They’re talking about my name,” I mumbled, my face heating up even more.

                “What’s so special about your name?” Phil asked in confusion.

                “Never mind,” I said as Trace shot me a knowing look. Phil didn’t know, and I would like to keep it that way. I turned back and listened to Tommy and Juliet again.

                “Really? I’ve only ever heard him being called Zeke, even by his family and Trace. What’s his real name?” Juliet asked, true curiosity in her eyes.

                Tommy shrugged, looking slightly smug. “Ask him,” he said, closing the subject. I relaxed a little, glad that he didn’t trust Juliet that much. Ugh. My parents should be shot for their terrible name-choosing.

                “So, since you and Zeke are over…” Juliet started, moving closer to Tommy.

                “I’m still gay,” Tommy said with an affirmative nod. “But nice try.”

                Juliet squeezed his hand. “Wouldn’t you like to be positive about that?” she asked.

                She moved forward and slowly brought her lips to Tommy’s. I watched in pain as Tommy kissed her back, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her closer to himself. Juliet tangled her hands in Tommy’s hair as he slipped his tongue into her mouth.