Rebound, But Newfound {10}

I stopped outside of Zeke’s bedroom door, my heart slamming and my body numb. I had dreamed about dating Zeke for so long, and now I was just going to put an end to it all. But it was for the best.

                “By the rivers of Babylon.”

                Zeke’s voice drifted out softly through the door. I slowly opened it and let myself in, my heart constricting. Zeke was staring at his ceiling, a picture in his hands.

                “Where we sat down. And there we wept, when we remembered Zion.”

                He stopped and glanced at me. “Tommy, I know why you’re here. Before you saying anything, just hear me out,” he said, sitting up and patting the spot on his bed next to him.

                I hesitated before going and sitting next to him. He set the picture down and I realized it was a picture of us. I was 13 and Zeke was 15 in it, and we were hugging because Zeke had just passed me the ball and I shot it to score the championship winning goal.

                Zeke took my hand in his and looked into my eyes deeply. I dropped my gaze from his, remembering that he thought my eyes were creepy.

                Zeke gently grabbed my chin and tilted it, forcing me to look him in the eyes. “Your eyes are beautiful Tommy. I want to look at them,” he said simply.

                He sighed. “I know I hurt you Tommy. I know my confused feelings hurt you, and I am so, so deeply sorry. I never wanted to hurt you. Never. I feel so strongly for you Tommy. It’s not exactly love, but it’s not far off, either. I don’t want us to break up, Tommy. I’m sorry we fought. I’m sorry I hurt you. I’m sorry I still have feelings for Kory. If you want to break up with me, I’ll understand. But I won’t like it. I want to be with you Tommy. You make me so happy.”

                He fell silent for a moment and bit his lip. “Okay. I guess that’s all I have to say right now. You can…you can say what you came here to say now,” he said softly.

                I kept my mouth shut, knowing that words wouldn’t come even if I opened it. I searched Zeke’s eyes but only saw honesty in them. He really meant what he said.

                “Zeke, I’m not going to break up with you. Yes, I was going to. But I just…I can’t,” I said quietly, finally finding my voice. “But our relationship is so strained right now. So fragile. You know as well as I do that it won’t take much to ruin it.”

                Zeke nodded sadly. He pulled me close, hugging me. “We can fix it Tommy. I know we can fix it. Fix it better than Bob the Builder,” he promised, kissing me gently.

                Having missed the feel of his lips on mine, I deepened the kiss. Zeke pulled away and smiled weakly.

                “I’m sorry Tommy,” he whispered.

                “Don’t be,” I said, feeling relief as I managed to control my emotions again. I was still hurt and confused, but for the moment, I was with Zeke and I could control my feelings again.

                Zeke gently traced his fingers on my lips, staring into my eyes. I mentally sighed, knowing I needed to ask him and find out.

                “Zeke, do you think I look like a little kid?” I asked flatly. Zeke pulled his hand away and shook his head, looking confused.