Rebound, But Newfound {11}

***Zeke’s POV***

                “He’s going to break up with me if I’m not careful,” I groaned.

                “Calm down Zeke. I explained everything to Kory, and he convinced his mom to take him out to the mall for the day for school shopping. He won’t be at the soccer field. You won’t see him around today. Everything will be fine,” Trace assured.

                “Trace, I can’t lose Tommy. He deserves so much better than me, but I don’t want to lose him,” I whispered.

                “Zeke, calm the hell down. You won’t lose Tommy. Now get up and let’s go to the soccer field before everyone thinks we ditched,” he said, yanking me to my feet.

                We left the house and made our way to the soccer field. The guys I had invited were talking and waiting on the play set.

                My eyes searched until I found Tommy. He was sitting on top of the monkey bars, staring up at the sky with a blank, thoughtful expression.

                “Hey guys,” I greeted.

                They turned and waved to me and Trace. Tommy slowly turned to look at us. Our eyes met and I didn’t have to hear him thank me to know how grateful he was that I hadn’t invited Kory.

                Tommy jumped off the monkey bars and came over to me. “Ayo,” he greeted. I smiled softly and wrapped an arm around his waist as we began to walk towards the field to practice.

                “Alright, get shooting,” Trace called as he pulled his goalie gloves on and positioned himself in front of the goal.

                The guys I had invited, Phil, Kaleb, and Jeff, began to shoot as I watched Tommy tie his shoe. He stood up and took my hand in his.

                “Let’s scrimmage,” he said after a few minutes of everyone shooting on Trace, barely scoring.

                We split off into teams. Me, Trace, and Phil against Tommy, Kaleb, and Jeff.

                “Trace, here!” I called. Trace passed the ball and Tommy charged at me. I felt him grab my shirt and yank me back.

                He jumped forward and took the ball. I moved to get it, and Tommy elbowed me roughly in the stomach. So that’s how he wanted it, huh?

                I tangled my leg with his and shifted so that Tommy thudded to the ground. He quickly got back to his feet and caught up to me before I had taken more than three steps.

                “Go Tommy!” Jeff and Kaleb cheered, watching in amusement.

                “Oomph!” Tommy grabbed his stomach as I elbowed him with more force than necessary. Shit, I had to learn to ease up a little. I didn’t want to actually hurt him.

                Still, Tommy wasn’t discouraged by the pain. He stomped on my foot and slammed his shoulder into me. I grabbed the back of his shirt and we toppled to the ground together.

                Our mini teams weren’t even trying anymore. They were just watching us fight it out on the soccer field.

                Tommy gained his feet before I did and got the ball. I shouldered him in the back and he stumbled forward a little from the force of it. He nearly tripped over the ball, but managed to stay up.