Rebound, But Newfound {6}

“Ayo.”

                I jumped in surprise as Tommy wrapped his arms around my waist. “Jesus Tommy! Do you always have to sneak up on me?” I whined, turning in his arms and pouting.

                “Yes, but just because I love seeing you pout like that,” he said and kissed me.

                “TOMMY! ZEKE!” Kory screamed, running towards us as Trace sighed and shook his head. I felt Tommy’s arms tighten around me slightly.

                “Hi Kory,” I greeted as he stopped in front of us and grinned.

                Tommy stepped away from me. “Let’s get started. I want to practice,” he said, looking more serious than I had ever seen him. I frowned to myself.

                We began to dribble around and pass. We split, me and Tommy, and Trace and Kory, and decided to scrimmage a little.

                Trace passed Kory the ball and Tommy charged at him. I watched nervously, guarding Trace. “Trace, I don’t like this,” I whispered as Tommy reached Kory. Tommy was a dirty player, but he was sneaky about it. He rarely got caught using dirty tricks, though he constantly did use them.

                Kory stumbled back a little and Tommy tried to take the ball. I barely saw his hand release Kory’s shirt. Oh shit. Tommy wasn’t screwing around here.

                Kory dropped low and shouldered Tommy off. Tommy elbowed him so fast that I nearly missed it. Kory choked and stumbled back a little before dropping and shouldering Tommy off the ball.

                Kory shielded it and Trace began to move to receive a pass. I followed him, ready to intercept the pass.

                Kory fell to the ground, Tommy quickly pulling his foot away and taking the ball. Kory frowned as he watched Tommy dribble away from him.

                “Tommy! What the fuck dude? Why are you playing dirty? This is just a scrimmage,” Trace snapped.

                Trace went over and pulled Kory to his feet. Trace glared at Tommy. “Anyone else would’ve missed those tricks, but you know damn well Zeke and I have played with you long enough to look out for that shit. Why are you pulling that? You could have hurt Kory,” he snapped.

                “Trace, it’s okay. I’m fine,” Kory said with a small smile. But Trace ignored him and continued to glare at Tommy, waiting for an answer.

                Tommy simply shrugged. “I was just playing the way I always do,” he said simply.

                “That is not the way you always play! That’s the way you play during games, or with your brothers. I’ve never seen you play that way with anyone else. What gives?” Trace growled, taking Kory’s hand.

                I went over to Tommy and slipped my arm around his waist. “Tommy, calm down. Trace is right. You didn’t have to do that,” I said softly. “You could’ve hurt Kory.”

                “Whatever. Sorry Kory,” Tommy said with a shrug.

                “We’re leaving, you dirty tricked mother fucker,” Trace snapped. He pulled Kory with him and they left the field. I frowned after them and turned to Tommy.

                “Tommy, you were trying to hurt Kory, weren’t you?” I asked, looking into his eyes.

                “No,” he said.