Chapter 33: No More Deceptions & Secrets (T version)

Author's Note: As our usual posting day is Mondays, next week's chapter falls on the holiday. DivergentPanda46 and I will be spending Christmas Eve and Day with our families, so you should expect next week's chapter to be a day or two late. We expect it to be up on December 27 at the latest. Thank you for your patience, and we hope you all have a happy and safe holiday!

THERE IS A MATURE (M) VERSION OF THIS CHAPTER - POSTED IN THE SEPARATE M STORY IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ THAT. THIS T VERSION WAS CUT DOWN FROM THE ORIGINAL.

Chapter 33: No More Deceptions & Secrets (T version)

Date: Mid-September - Baby Natty is 8 months old

^^ Two Days Later ^^

** Tris POV **

Holding my lunch tray while waiting in line to grab a water, a constant rattling sound breaks me from my thoughts. My mind has been running non-stop the last two days, with no resolution in sight. Quickly looking around, it takes me a moment to realize it is the tin bowl of chili on my tray that is making the sound. My hands are shaking...again. I breathe in and out to calm myself. Forcing my hands to steady, my eyes darting around to make sure no one I know is standing near me in line. As hard as I've tried to act normal, the people closest to me have still noticed the change in my demeanor these last two days. Luckily the news that Four and I are having problems has circulated, so everyone assumes that is the cause. Little do they know about the greater issue I am facing.

"You have three days. If you go running to my son about this, or you do not bring the baby to me by seven PM, I will go to Marcus."

That vile woman's words ring in my ear for the hundredth time. Tomorrow is day three. Tomorrow I have to choose between Evelyn and Marcus. Natty is not a sister to me, she never was. Either monster I choose, I lose my daughter.

I'm relieved when I see Uriah and Marlene sitting alone at the end of a table, the other half full of some Dauntless members I have never met. I can sit with the happy couple and hopefully be able to eat fast without needing to talk.

"May I join you guys? I have to eat quickly before my shift starts..." I am careful to keep my voice neutral.

"You don't have to ask Tris, of course you are welcome. Have a seat," Mar says warmly motioning to the seat right across from her and Uri.

I notice Uriah smiles and nods, but the smile not quite reaching his eyes. He tried to talk to me yesterday about Four, I had to cut him short as daycare was closing. I know he is concerned.

They are having a conversation about Hana's birthday next week as I zone out.

"Tris?" Mar asks.

"Everything okay with your chili? You look like you are about to gag," she asks with concern. Spooning a second bite of chili into my mouth I force myself to chew before swallowing. Although this is one of my favorite dishes at Dauntless, I can barely stomach it right now. I am eating because I have to, I don't want to add low blood sugars to my list of concerns right now.

"I'm just tired. It's fine," I mumble before taking another bite and smiling.

"I was going to say – please don't tell me you are getting a stomach bug! Then Natty would probably get it and germs pass through daycare like crazy," Marlene laughs. "I'm so glad I get to work in her class in the afternoons. She is a little love."

I have to take a sip of water to control my sudden urge to vomit. What the hell will I tell daycare when Natty is suddenly gone? What will I tell my friends? I have until tomorrow evening to bring the baby to Factionless. Will tomorrow by her last day at daycare?