Chapter 24: Visiting Day

Date: Dauntless Initiation – Stage 1 / Baby Natty is 6 months old (July 15)

*Tris POV*

Natty chews on my finger as I carry her to the dining hall. She still doesn't have any teeth, but with how often she has been gnawing on my hands and anything else she can get to her mouth lately, I think the first might pop up soon. She is six months old today, and my heart aches thinking of Mother. There are so many milestones she is missing: Natty reaching six months old; the impending first tooth; Natty even has been getting up on all fours and rocking back and forth this week.

A week has passed since my birthday—a day that is more memorable by the many arguments I had with Four—especially the last one, during the truth or dare game—rather than the party itself. He never did come home that night, but has slept at the apartment every night since, and we never did discuss our issues. I suppose we never will.

Four has, however, been really helpful with the baby this week when he is at home. The other day, I was in the shower with my hair all lathered up with shampoo... and heard the baby start to cry. I called out that I'd be right there, trying to reassure Natty with my voice until I could hurry and at least rinse my hair to get out of the shower, but Four yelled back to me. "I've got her, Tris. Just shower for goodness sake! Take your time," he called out. It was so nice to have his help and to know someone I could trust, who Natty was comfortable with, was keeping her happy and safe. In the end, my shower was actually relatively relaxing.

I enter the dining hall, and as though he was watching for me, Uriah spots me right away and jumps right up. He just adores Natty and wants to hold her anytime he sees her with me; Uriah coming right over to take care of her while I get a plate of food is our usual mealtime routine, and today is no exception.

Yesterday when Uri and I were walking through the compound together, it was the same—Uriah holding Natty as we walked. I am thankful that she has so many people in her life that love her here at Dauntless. I remember that as we were walking, we bumped into Four, and he didn't say a word to us; barely looking at me, his eyes resting on Uriah holding the baby, he just frowned and kept walking. I have replayed that moment many times in my mind since then; I wonder why he reacts that way sometimes. Is he judging my parenting again? He offers to help with her himself; he can't be thinking that I shouldn't accept help from my friends, could he? Sometimes—often, actually—he is a puzzle I don't think I will ever solve.

"There's my little sweetheart!" Uriah coos as he reaches his arms out for Natty. The baby smiles and babbles at him, and Uriah baby talks back to her. They are so cute together sometimes, it's like they're having a real little conversation.

Soon as Natty is settled into Uri's arms. I can't help smiling at them. "Thanks, Uri, as always. I'm just going to grab a plate of food; I'll be over in a few minutes."

"No problem, Tris! You know I look forward to my time with Natty! No rush." I wave at Natty before he turns and walks with her back to the table to sit back down with our friends, and I make my way to the food line.

++o++

*Four POV*

"Hey, Mom wanted me to ask—what are you doing tomorrow, Four?" Zeke asks as we walk into the dining hall together. "Cause she's doing this whole dinner thing for Visiting Day, you know? Shauna will be there, and you know Mom sees you as a part of the family. My apparently growing family. Mom is really excited that Uri is serious enough about Tris to include her and her baby."

I scratch the back of my neck. I make a point of laying low on Visiting Day; I don't really think Marcus would ever come to visit me, but I don't want to take any chances. I also do really like Hana—Zeke and Uriah's mother—and appreciate how warm and caring she is toward me.