An Old Friend Returns: Part Four

Hinata walked quietly down the main hall of the inn, lined with number doors. She used her byakugan to inspect inside of the rooms, but she felt a bit of shame about it. It was like intruding upon people's lives who were innocent, no hand in the matter...And it wouldn't be the first time that she was made to feel insecure during the mission thus far. Sasuke's behavior by the lake was intensively startling.

"We don't have to return to company, just yet. It's a well suited night for a walk beneath the stars. Wouldn't you agree?

"Uhm..we really should be getting back." Hinata had reiterated, declining the peculiar offer. It was beyond peculiar, really. But he hadn't pushed it any further.

"Very well." He had closed his eyes. Before Hinata could make another move, Sasuke had swooped her up into his arms, darting with amazing and impressive speed back toward the camp. She wrapped her arms around his neck for safety, but even with only one effective arm, he was able to keep a secure grip.

"S-sasuke, put me down!" Hinata had protested in that moment, closing her eyes tightly to avoid the brush flying into her face, and also out of embarrassment. "P-put me down! Put me –"

In the next instant, she was set onto the ground, Sasuke walking forward toward a dim light; and just like that, they were back at camp to see Sakura and Naruto sitting beside the fire.

"That was..." Hinata's eyeline dropped to the ground as she spoke quietly to herself, reminiscing about the moment in a perplexed way even now as she failed to make sense of it. She searched the hardwood floor beneath her for nothing in particular, more so searching her mind.

...

"H-hinata..."

She took a sharp inhale, looking upward to view Sasuke standing at the other end of the silent, shadowy hallway that only the two inhabited, the dim lighting making the mood completely ominous. His body seemed a little tense, and very rigid.

"Hinata, you have to listen to me." his words were staggered, almost as if they were painful. It was enough to fly a red flag to the byakugan eyed girl. With a flutter of his cape behind him, Sasuke disappeared into a vacant room. Hinata followed in after him to inspect the situation, but to say that she had her guard up was an understatement.

"What's going-"

Before she could even finish her sentence, Sasuke pushed the door shut, pining her against it with his sheer close proximity, a desiring look caught in his eye. Hinata became unnerved – oh no, not again, she thought, retracting her body as far as it could go, but it was hardly any use...

"I-I can't control myself around you." He spoke in his signature husky tone, with the same staggered effect as when he had spoken in the hallway.

"Sasuke..." Hinata whimpered, her cheeks heated. "This has to stop...N-naruto and I-" she winced.

"Listen closely." He instructed, " I can't control myself." He repeated, in an infliction that gave way to deeper meaning. "Your all that I can think about. I await the moment I can be near you again. Every fiber of my very being wants you to reciprocate. I'm trying to stay away, It's – It's impossible..."

These words...they sounded like a proclamation of love...but they came out like an involuntary flood. His body was visibly shaking.

What does he mean, "can't"? her eyed misted and twitched as she watched him. Sasuke's face was looming uncomfortably close – but his hold upon the doorway over her shoulders remained firm, and aggressive. Hinata felt frozen – at any other time, she would have just used her gentle fist into his stomach, but the desire to hurt him just wasn't there. Besides, his ninja capabilities were still prominent, and it might be unfruitful anyway. His features drew nearer and nearer to her own, when in the last possible moment before connection, Sasuke used his rinnegan to switch their places. He was now mere inches from the wood of the door, and Hinata stood facing away from him now, her gaze falling upon the room.