An Old Friend Returns: Part One

In a few days' time as promised, Hanabi and Hiashi had returned from their pilgrimage to the Hyuga motherland. As suspected, Hanabi had seemed to have more of a good time than she expected. But there wasn't so much of a break shortly after, as that morning, Naruto, Sakura, and Hinata had been called to the Hokage's office. The trio walked together through town, as the ladies talked amongst each other as what information he might hold. But Naruto? He contently trailed behind them, hands in his pockets, gazing with a small smile.

Sakura took note of this behavior from over her shoulder. Raising an eyebrow, she peered back at him with scrutiny.

"Hmm...Naruto...you're awfully calm today." She pointed out, to his innocent surprise. Usually he was ready to bounce off of the walls, especially as he neared his former sensei. "Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, or something?" he hands found her hips.

He thought about it...well, no, definitely not. He had woken up with Hinata that morning, sneaking out early before her family had returned. He slept great for the last few nights...being beside her all night gave him serenity, and energized him at the same time. He felt at peace, and maybe his body language was showing it.

"N-not at all." He admitted, with a shrug. "I guess that I'm just enjoying the day, is all. Things have been warming up a bit lately."

Hinata found herself worried – was it true, was Naruto acting differently? She turned to inspect for herself, but when they locked eyes, and awkwardness came about him. He smiled, rubbing the back of his head and averting his look with a slight blush.

"What's with the third degree anyway, Sakura? Shouldn't we be hurrying to Kakashi sensei, anyway?" he chuckled, but did act a bit defensively. Sakura kept a small smirk, as she turned back around. It seemed to her than Naruto was finally able to find some tranquility in his life. Finally... trouble seemed to follow him like a shadow. Sakura grinned to herself.

They had reached the sixth hokage's office, where he was seated as his desk as cool as ever.

"Good to see you all." Lord Hokage spoke, resting his head on his knuckles. "Please shut the door."

Each of them stiffened a little at this. This was no casual meeting, no. this was something more confidential. Sakura grabbed ahold of the door handle, pulling it shut before they each approached a little closer.

"Hinata, I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better. Have you been experiencing any other strange symptoms?" he questioned. She shook her head slowly to his question, with a small dissenting noise.

"Not at all. My memories have been just fine. Though, my memories of losing my memory are now fuzzy..." She admitted, twisted a foot beneath her a bit awkwardly.

"That was definitely no accident..." Sakura speculated. "Whoever this is trying to protect their identity, and they're doing pretty well. I wish we had more to go on, so we could track down this scumbag."

"Don't worry, Sakura. I've had a special agent doing some investigating in the land of waves, and I think we finally have a promising lead."

Naruto, Hinata, and Sakura each take an audible inhale to Kakashi's words. Naruto takes a half step closer to Hinata, in a supporting way – or maybe a protective way. He was ready to beat the hell out of whoever would dare mess with her.

"Well, who was the bastard? He messed with the wrong Shinobi." He growled, as he felt his heart pump with a little more energy.

"I...suppose it would be better coming from the source." Kakashi said, turning his attention toward the window. Suddenly, in a flash that felt something like the wind, a cloaked figure stood before them...