20. Heartbeat

CHAPTER TWENTY:
HEARTBEAT

- Jimin -

9:27 pm

My fear had succeeded to rule my whole mind and body that I began to shiver, but I held myself back and tried not to show it out. I was lost as I closed my eyes and listened to my steady heartbeat, ignoring the noises around me. I could only see a particular face with my eyes closed. 

"Excuse me, he is here."

I gulped in nervousness upon getting that information since I had no idea how to deal with that person now, but I decided to face him anyway and walked back to the office, only to receive a punch in my left cheek. That was fast, but the kid helped me from falling down.

"WHAT DID YOU DO TO HER?"

Nothing at all. I held my jaw and looked at the person who just got pulled away by the officer. "This guy did something to my Jihee, " that accusation was so sudden and made me act.

"No, Jungsik. Why would I?" I defended myself.

"Ask yourself, asshole. Cheater."

That one word caused me to freeze and had me confused, but the next shocking words he said cleared my confusion. "You are fucking your assistant. She had been pretending not to know about it because she loves you and is okay with sharing you with another woman, " and I was speechless.

I was indeed an asshole. 

"Tell me what did you do to her, " I was grabbed by my collar and a punch landed on the same cheek over again. I deserved it.

But the other two people in the room separated us as the officer pulled him away from me and asked him to stay quiet to answer a phone call. "That's cool! And call me if you get some more information, " he hung up the call and scanned each of us one by one.

"Her phone was turned off near Gangnam street exactly at 3:32 pm and a team will be sent to inquire about it." 

"I'll go with―"

"No! I'll go."

"None of you will be going with us, but do leave her picture before you leave, " the officer walked out of the room.

"I swear if something happens to her—"

I got harshly pushed away from his way before he stormed out of the room, and my head replayed about how I had already been caught and how she decided to stay.

"Hyung?" it came from the mouth of my neighbor and surprised me. "Let's go home, " he suggested.

"Not until I see her."

- Daeho -

9:29 pm

"Did you kill her?"

"I told her what you asked me to and am about to show those pictures. I hope you get my bonus ready, " I told the person on the other line.

"And I hope to hear the good news soon, " and she hung up.

I went to grab the pictures first and walked to the room to continue my job. "Fuck!" the sight in front of my eyes shocked me as I looked around to check what happened, only to find the back door was open. I rushed back to the guys and who was behind this carelessness.

"WHO LEFT THE KEY NEXT TO THE DOOR?"  

No one answered, but I decided to let this slide only and only because it was a waste of time at this moment. I grabbed my handgun and followed the footsteps left by the one who ran away. I asked one of them to stay back and the other two to follow me to assist me to find her.

The footsteps could not be noticed after a few miles away, so I asked one guy to separate ways from us in an intersection and the other one to follow me. "Such a problematic woman, " I continued to run as fast as possible.

"Bo—"

I halted my steps and shushed the red-haired guy behind me, who almost gave a hint of our presence to the target. That woman was leaning against a huge rock and had her eyes closed. I aimed the gun right at her forehead to shoot her dead, but those closed eyes suddenly opened.

No wonder I was fast to pull the trigger but so was she to get up and attempt to run, resulting the bullet to pierce right through his chest, and that caused her to collapse immediately. "You are smoking hot, babygirl. But money comes first, " I pulled the trigger once again, but nothing came out.

It ran out of bullets at the wrong time.

"Where's your gun?" I asked the person next to me.

"I forgot to —"

The carelessness was crossing every level and tested my patience. I was about to go and check her pulse, but a phone call stopped me from doing it. It was from another client, so I decided to answer and asked the red-haired guy to do my job.

"You forgot to bring your gun. Now go and check if she's dead, or else you will carry her alone and take her back so that I can shoot that fucking head."

I walked a few meters away to answer the call, and the first thing I did was to remind about our rules. "I hope you are aware of the rule regarding the payment." The deal was finalized on the phone and the money would arrive tomorrow.

"She is dead."

"Now you will carry that body back to the—"

"Oh, Shit! It's her phone. I turned it on. I think I carried it by mistake. It's the same as mine—"

"Fuck you, " I grabbed the phone from his hand and dismantled it before throwing it away.

"Police can track this location. Tell the other two to leave this place and go to the main base immediately, " I ordered the careless piece of shit and fastened my footsteps.

"What about that body?" he asked.

"Leave that shit and run."

••••••••••

"You were the reason behind my beating heart"

••••••••••