Chapter 11

11.

“You ready?” Hunter asked as I slipped on my black skirt and a grey blouse.

“No I’ll never fully be ready. But as long as I get to see you after, then I’ll be fine.

Hunter smiled while giving me a big hug. He stroked my hair and I sighed not wanting to leave his arms.

“Cameron are you ready?” Kyle asked from downstairs.

“Yep,” I said and went downstairs with Hunter and loaded into the back of my dad’s car.

I leaned over and whisper in Hunter’s ear saying, “You know you don’t have to do this?”

“I want to. Whatever will release some stress for you.” He pulled me closer to him and I rested my head against his shoulder.

“Miss Madison what evidence do you have to prove that Mrs. Haney here abused you?”

“I have proof right here from her, Mr. Brett, and Marcus” I said pulling my hair aside to reveal the scar from the lighter and the cut from the bottle. Pictures were also passed around to the judge, the jury and the attorney showing my wounds.

“Judge Frank, may I ask why Miss Madison has to testify?” my attorney asked him.

“We just have to verify,” was all he said.

“She was raped by Brett and abused. Why would you need to verify that? We have all the evidence we need in the labs and papers.”

Brett was grinning deviously at me and I felt a shade paler as he winked and it was meant for me only saying he was going to do worse once he was released. Being in the court room reminded me of when I read To Kill A Mockingbird. I felt like I was going to get the death penalty personally by him once he was released. I tore my gaze away from him and glared back at him when he said, “Someone has to make sure she’s not lying.”

“That’s enough Mr. Hemorage. We have the evidence and everything we need. It’s just a new policy I have to abide by. Case dismissed,” he slammed the gavel down and I jumped, causing Brett to snicker.

They hauled Brett and Deborah away while I walked out quietly with my parents. Hunter held me when I came out and I started shaking.

“Sweetheart what’s wrong? We won the case.”

“Did you see the way he looked at me?” I asked meeting his eyes. “He wants me Hunter. He’s going to get anyone who’s willing to listen to him on his side. With him, Deborah, Marcus, Mason and Garrett all under the same roof … I’m screwed. They’ll be able to plan and,”

Hunter kissed me and I stopped. I wanted to just lean into him and have him hold me but we were still in a court house and I didn’t want to get in trouble. He pulled back and took my hand.

“I’m going to protect you Cameron. Even if it means me giving my life for you, I’ll do it.”

“Hunter I can’t have you do that.”

“Why not? I know you would do the same for me.”

“You’re right I will, but I can’t have you die for me. It wouldn’t be right,” ‘for a number of reasons,’ my mind added.

Hunter walked out with me to the car and said, “We won’t worry about it for now babe.” He ended the conversation and I sat in his lap as we drove home in silence.