Chapter 3

3.

I didn’t see Hunter for three weeks and I tried calling, texting, and emailing him. He never responded and I felt miserable.

“Cameron?” Hunter’s voice said as I was walking home one day. I had tears streaming down my face and I broke down without warning.

“Hey Cam, it’s okay,” he said holding me and I pulled back.

“No it’s not. I upset you and I felt even worse when you didn’t respond back.”

“Cam, I’m sorry. I’m not upset with you and I wasn’t trying to ignore you. My parents took away my phone and communication for failing two of my classes. Look all I wanted was to see the real Cameron from behind the wall. You’re brave and I respect that but you need to release your anger in a healthier way.” Hunter walked me to a less public area and continued, “Please forgive me for upsetting you. Baby I was going insane knowing that I couldn’t talk to you and promised myself that when I saw you I would do this,” Hunter bent down and kissed me.

I was taken aback and felt the pain and longing of wanting to see him reflected in my kiss.

“Hunter I missed you so much,” I said hugging him as he wiped my smeared makeup off.

“I know Cam, I know.”

“What’s new?” I asked as we walked.

“Nothing really, just really need to pull my grades up and really missed my girlfriend.”

“Really?” I mused and Hunter continued, “Yep. She has a certain quality about her that makes her attractive.”

“Let me guess, her looks?” I teased.

“No, though she is hot. I look deeper than that,” he said pulling me closer.

I faced him and felt my breathing quicken as I asked, “What is it that you like about her?”

“Her heart is serene and she will risk her life to save others.”

I blushed and said, “Well you want to know what I love about my boyfriend?”

“Besides his good looks and being older I can hardly guess,” he joked.

“He taught me that it’s okay to let your guard down and that I’m not alone.”

Hunter looked me directly in the eyes and continued, “There’s something I promised a friend and myself I would ask my girlfriend the next time I saw her. What do you think about love?”

I was taken aback and said, “Well I think love is when you’re not ashamed of being with that person despite their flaws and qualities good or bad. You want to show them off to the world. Why?”

“I was just wondering what you thought of it. I didn’t put an age on when you think people should fall in love because I know that when I end up falling in love I’ll love everything about her. She may have had a rough past and possibly physically, emotionally, and mentally scarred but I don’t care. She doesn’t let anything defeat her, and stands strong even when the odds are against her.” Hunter looked at me and was trying to see my initial reaction.

“Hunter what are you trying to get at? Are you saying you’re in love?”

“Not just in love, but I’m in love with you, Cameron Justice Madison.”

My heart was pounding in my ears and I didn’t recognize my voice as I said, “I love you too Hunter.”

I normally felt really excited when I liked a guy but since I knew he liked me back, it made me realize I had stronger feelings towards Hunter than I ever had anyone else.