Chapter 6

6.

“Again,” Deborah said and Brett kicked my back. I held back a scream and let a few tears escape. I then got angry at showing weakness and coughed to cover it up. Though I don’t think any of them noticed or if they did they didn’t mention me trying to cover it up to act all tough. Brett kicked me harder and I curled up into a ball to see if that would lessen the pain of the blows. His boot made contact with my spine and I whimpered as everyone heard a crack. I could tell they were satisfied at getting a reaction out of me.

“This is for getting me in trouble,” Deborah said and I saw the world go red as she hit my head with a bottle. I heard the glass tinkle onto the floor and the dizziness set in as I felt my head and brought my hand back to see a dark red line on my hand. I was cut and my blood was pulsing, giving me a headache. I tried to stand up but was too weak. Plus with my spine possibly injured I couldn’t tolerate the pain.

“Stop,” I said feebly trying to kick as Mason was holding me down. He wasn’t even putting that much effort into restraining me, which showed how weak I truly was for the first time in my life.

“Brett,” Deborah said raising her eyebrows and I yelled as I saw a flame appear from a lighter.

“This can be easy or painful,” he says and I scream in terror as he burns me from my shoulder up to my collarbone and grins. I’m yelling even louder as I see his stance and feel my lungs are about to burst as he rapes me.

“Brett stop!” I yell and dig my nails into his arm, though it didn’t affect him because he pushed down on my ribcage and I had to concentrate on breathing. Then he brings his hands around my neck and squeezes my throat as I feel like suffocating and feel the pain of every part of my body. The full impact makes me want to pass out but I grasp onto whatever conscious I have so that I can’t go under. I’m too scared of what would have if I passed out and didn’t know what they did to me rather than if I was awake to watch. Brett suddenly brings his hands off and I gasp as my head feels bloated and I swear for a moment that I’m high.

“Brett!” Deborah yells and he gets off me and retreats with the others as I crawl into a closet trying to decipher what’s going on. I back up into the corner of the closet and smell my blood mixing with an unusual musty odor.

“Help,” I whisper and let tears fall as my eyes close. I know better than to cry and let my enemies hear or see me but this time was an exception.

A sniffling sound comes to the door of the closet and I back up as far as I can while the door opens. Duke barks as he comes in to find me and I suddenly wonder if I’m making this up. I feel his rough tongue lick my tears up and I say, “Duke,” to then see Kyle bend down.

“Cameron the police have them. You are safe now.”

I carefully crawled out and Shay burst into tears as Gwen held me and smoothed my hair back. I assumed I was a sight to see being bruised, battered, and bloody everywhere. I couldn’t get myself to see what my family was seeing and I had a feeling if I did I would have nightmares for eternity.

“Sweetheart tell me what happened,” a police officer said and I described everything. The police officer named Max took notes on everything I said and shook his head.

“Alright let’s take you to the hospital,” he says and they load me into an ambulance. I see Hunter and smile weakly as he climbs in the back with me. I held my hand out to him and he brought it to his face.

“I thought I would never see you again,” he said his voice husky but I could tell he’d been crying. Right now he was trying to be strong for the both of us.

“I’m here now Hunter,” I said soothingly and Hunter let go of my hand as they arrived and pulled me into the examining room.

“Well your spine is fractured in a few places and your head received a mild concussion. That cut on your head will be fixed easily with a few stitches. The bruises will be nasty and that burn will leave a scar possibly. You’re lucky Brett got off of you when he did, or your rib cage could have collapsed and your lungs would’ve most likely have been punctured. Cameron there’s a pretty good chance you wouldn’t have survived this.”

“I was raped, is there any way to…”

The nurse looked at me and nodded, “You’re fine Miss Madison.”

I sat back with relief and felt the nurse insert tubes into my arms filled with fluids. Feeling exhausted, I fell back asleep and if anything went on while I was out, then I’m still unaware of it.

I jolted from a nightmare and held back a scream. Hunter stepped forward but stopped when I held my hand up. I put it down and he slowly came forward. He sat down next to my bed and held my hand.

“Sorry for freaking out,” I whispered.

“You’re still traumatized, it’s understandable. I’m amazed that you’re still being strong.”

“I didn’t fight hard enough Hunter,” tears started leaking and I wiped them away, furious that I was showing weakness in front of Hunter again.

Hunter looked me dead in the eyes and said, “Cameron. You fought bravely, by saving everyone. Shay wasn’t harmed like you wanted. I didn’t want to let you do that and I regret it. I wished I had fought harder to save you. You shouldn’t be afraid to show your true feelings around me, I like this vulnerable side of you.” He kissed me softly and I felt a tear hit my face.

“Hunter it’s okay. Don’t let this haunt you.” I at least knew that he wasn’t afraid to show his true self to me. It made me wonder why I was exactly.

“How can I? My girlfriend was horrendously abused.”

“Hunter,” I began and he stopped.

“I won’t let it affect me anymore because if I do, then they’re still winning.”

Hunter sighed and nodded because he understood what I was telling him. “You realize you’re on almost every news channel?” he said changing subjects.

I gaped, “Seriously? The story was that big?”

“Yep and get this, Deborah, Mason, Brett, and Garrett are in jail for a very long time. Not life as of right now but for a really long time.”

“Wow,” I closed my eyes and hoped silently that they wouldn’t escape again. Knowing that there was a fifty-fifty chance I was presuming I would lose that bet.

“Get some rest Cam,” Hunter said kissing my forehead and leaned back in the chair.

“Hunter go home so you can sleep.”

“I’m staying here so that you feel safe.”

I tried to sit up and push him but he pushed me back down gently so that I would be inclined to sleep. We both knew that I wanted him to stay here and that whenever he was near I felt safe.

“You’re not going to be comfortable,” I teased.

“Watch me,” Hunter challenged and laid back in the chair, shutting his eyes.

I rolled my eyes playfully and fell asleep immediately.

Images flashed in my head as I slept. The pain and torture I received while seeing victory in their eyes was unnerving. I saw flames and the knife and sat up trying to calm myself.

Hunter woke up and moved towards me. I flinched suddenly and stopped once I saw it was him.

“Cam,” Hunter said hurt and I sobbed uncontrollably at the fact that I was scared of him touching me.

“I’m so sorry,” Hunter whispered and kissed my hair.

I stayed silent and fell asleep in his arms and prayed a prayer of thanks to God for them finding me in time.