Chapter Forty-Eight

David watched in amusement as the men adjusted their postures and made cursory attempts to smooth their hair. "Remember, absorb details; don't give them. Allow them to know you're salesmen if you must, but technical equipment might be a good way to explain it, and that would satisfy all but the most curious. Learn how to divert the inquisitive by responding with your own questions. People love sharing things about themselves if they sense an interest."

As David paused to savour another sip, Ernst added, "Like with the ticket agent in Offenburg. I finally had to stop his rant against the French sympathisers by asking when the line will reopen. Another three or four weeks before the damage is repaired." Ernst chuckled. "Then he told me about the line from Freiburg also being closed, and when he began talking about the line in the Wutach Valley, I thanked him and left."

When Ernst paused, David continued. "I've often had to cut them off. But gathering information isn't only through listening to words. Learn to read the feelings behind them. Beyond that, though, are the visual clues. Look at everything in detail and build a picture." He took another sip of lager.

"Here's an exercise in observation for you. Think quietly for a while before you answer this, then I'll have each of you add one piece of information. During the drive up here, what did you notice about the licence plates on the vehicles?"

He watched puzzled expressions and furrowed brows on most of the faces, and after half a minute, he asked, "Raise your hand if you have some observations about the plates." Three hands went up, and then a tentative fourth.

"Four of you. That's a good start." He pointed to Manny. "Give me one thing you noted."

"They're white with black numbers and letters, and ours —"

"One observation only." He pointed again. "Dolf, you add to this."

"Ours are the reverse; black with white numbers."

David nodded to Ernst. "And one from you."

"Those were my observations also, but we've a red crest on each end of ours with some yellow."

"Good, and yours, Rick?"

"We're very visible. Our plates make us stand out. I saw many point to our car as we drove."

"Excellent point, Rick. We need to remember that we're different and we're visible because of it. But we have an excuse to be, as well as an explanation for it. We've no need to hide. That would add nothing but suspicion."

He scanned the six faces. "What else did you observe about the plates?"

After a long silence, he continued, "Once we had crossed the border, we saw fewer Swiss plates the farther we drove. Most of the German plates began with the letters IV with an occasional VI. Then as we approached Mannheim, we began seeing plates beginning with V."

"So, they're regional, like the two lorries," Hans said. "Frau Eberhardt's has a prancing ram in the crest, and ours has a bear."

"Exactly. Hers is from Schaffhausen, and ours is registered in Bern, as is the Lancia. The Swiss use their canton crests and the German states use Roman numerals. The IV is Baden, VI is Alsace, and the V is Hesse. We're near the boundary between the states of Baden and Hesse here, which is why we began seeing them as we approached Mannheim."

"So much information from such a simple source," Rick said. "Sure is obvious we need to learn to be more observant."

"It's vital in this game. Remember, we're enemy espionage agents, and if we're caught, we'll likely be tortured for information before they execute us." He scanned the nodding heads. "So, back to this. Who noticed the registration plates on the cars as we drove into Ludwigshafen?"

The men looked at each other, pursed their lips and shrugged.

David took a small sip of lager. "In front of the second hotel we passed was a car with a Zürich plate, and out front here is one from IA, which is Berlin. What do these mean?"

"Could be another salesman from Switzerland," Rick offered. "And the Berlin one could be an official from the Kaiser's staff or someone else in a high position."

"Good thoughts. Learn to observe your environment. What's in it? What's happening? If anything seems odd or different, ask yourself why?" He pushed his half-finished stein toward the centre of the table. "Here's another exercise for you. Analyse this scene; the seven of us sitting at this table. What's different about it? Is anything odd."

The men offered comments that they are the only large group and they are much younger than the others scattered around the room. When they ran out of observations, David said, "Not only what we see now, but what we saw and heard evolve."

After he watched the quizzical expressions for a while, he pointed to his half-finished lager pushed away, then to his overcoat draped on his chair back and at his satchel on the floor beside him. "I had said earlier I've reserved three rooms. You all saw there are only two beds in each, and I remained down here as you went up."

"So, you're not staying here?" Rick pointed to the satchel at David's feet. "Why did you bring your bag in?"

"I have thousands of Marks worth of watches in it, and other valuables I didn't want to risk having stolen from the car. Things are not always as they appear on the surface. Observation is of far greater value if we analyse what we see and hear and sense."

"So, that's why you took your satchel into the gasthaus in Offenburg. I was wondering." Rick tilted his head. "Where are you staying?"

"Not here." He chuckled. "I like your switch to questioning, Rick. It's a technique we all need to practice. And we also need to learn how to deflect questions with nebulous answers and topic shifts."

"Like you've just done."

"Exactly! But to answer your question — I have business in Mannheim and Worms. Besides, I want to leave you six on your own." He leaned over to open a satchel pocket and lift out a heavy envelope. "I've paid for the hotel rooms with breakfast and dinner. I'll give you each fifty Marks for lunches and incidentals, and sufficient to get you back to Switzerland if things turn strange."

After he had distributed the gold and silver coins, and had given Hans an additional thirty Marks for fuel, he unfolded a map and placed it on the table. "This is where we are, and this is the chemical plant at Oppau. Spend some time tomorrow and Saturday familiarising yourselves with the area, particularly with the rail lines into and out of the site. Take your time and be careful with everything you do. Compromising your identity could mean death."

David stood and put on his overcoat. "Rick will coordinate your activities, and I'll meet you here for breakfast at 0830 on Sunday morning. In the meantime, I expect you to act as gentlemen. And remember what Maria said, Respectable women crave gentlemen."

He pulled a bulging envelope from his satchel and tossed it on the table. "And they prefer wise men who play it safe. Protect your health." With a wink, he picked up his satchel and left.