Chapter Thirty-Five

The Ambassador pointed to the closing door. "I've not before done that sort of thing with others present, David. But he quickly dissuaded me from asking you to leave. Now I see it was best you were here. You're now aware of his character so you can assess whether you want to work with him. Also, it allowed him to see your steadfastness and your stoic nature in the face of his demeaning attitude and his insulting comments."

"I gathered that, Sir, and I appreciate it. At first, I thought it odd to remain, but the deeper the hole he dug, the more sense it made that I did."

"Will you be able to work with him? Or has he..." Evelyn looked up at the knock. "Come in, please."

After the steward had poured their snifters of Cognac and departed, Evelyn continued, "Can you work with him, or has he soured you?"

"I think his bluster has been deflated. I loved your calling him Captain and knocking him back to reality."

"He should now have an easier time dealing with you as a Lieutenant. Now that you're aware."

"I had meant to mention this to you, Sir. William informed me last week I had been promoted to substantive Captain and acting Major."

Evelyn looked up from his snifter and smiled. "There's your stoicism shining through again, David. You could have countered his demeaning comments, particularly the Colonial one."

"I saw no need. Besides, I was curious to see to what extent he would reveal his overbearing sense of self-importance." David chuckled as he rolled the amber fluid in his snifter. "Maria pegged him from the beginning. She named him Colonel Windbag after we had made our escape from the first encounter."

"That's an appropriate name." Evelyn chuckled, then tilted his head. "You've brought Maria back earlier than scheduled. Her classes don't begin until next week."

"I've decided to base myself here, leaving Georg to run the team at Sonnenhang. I sensed my presence there might be interfering with his initiative. Besides, I've better access to secure communications here, and of course, I'll be able to spend more time with Maria."

David paused and took a sip of Cognac. "Strange. I had argued with myself that it would appear my decision was based on being with her. I saw that's what had dissuaded me from making the decision weeks ago. The appearance."

"I wondered why you had remained based there. Your being here in Bern is much more logical. Here you can keep your finger on the pulse of the war, run your operations and be with Maria as she increasingly needs you through her pregnancy."

"Yes, I see that. But it was my concern about appearances."

Evelyn laughed. "What a marvellous contrast this shows. Both you and Wilfred being concerned about appearances, but from opposite directions." He nosed his Cognac, then looked up. "So, do you think you'll be able to work with him, or should I request he be replaced?"

"It might be safer to keep him here. We're aware of him, and he knows we are. Here, we can put some reins on him to prevent his disrupting things. Or worse; endangering lives."

Evelyn paused, gazing into his Cognac as he swirled it. "There's much merit in that — thinking aloud here, David, so bear with me. Henry will be back at the end of the week to brief and tutor Wilfred on his duties as Military Attaché. He could as easily tutor you. I could take Wilfred as my Aide. Keep him under tight control." Evelyn grinned as he looked up. "At times I'm rather brilliant, aren't I?"

David smiled as he raised his snifter. "More than only at times, Sir. Much more."

"It'll be a simple matter. I'll suggest to the Prime Minister that he cause the postings to be exchanged. The Wyndcoms are Tories and rather a pain to him, so I'm sure he would be delighted with the opportunity."

"But will I have the time to fulfil the role as Attaché and still conduct my trips into Germany and oversee the team?"

"Henry was frequently looking for projects to fill his time, and that's how he became involved with the injured prisoner idea. The position as Attaché is important, but often, there is little to do, particularly since the new Munitions Office had taken over a good portion of his work."

"That might be why a plug like Wilfred was posted as a replacement."

"That had occurred to me." Evelyn paused to savour a sip of Cognac, then he continued, "Henry will be busy setting up the prisoner programme, but he'll be working out of here. He'll be able to assist and advise you as you settle in. Even fill in if required during your absences. You've seen the energy he has."

David nodded. "William will appreciate the brilliance of this."

"As will Asquith and Lloyd-George." Evelyn nosed his snifter, then burst into loud laughter. "We'll need to request a brevet promotion to Lieutenant-Colonel for you to meet the requirements of the position." He laughed again. "Or would you prefer full Colonel?"

"Lieutenant-Colonel would be best. No need causing ripples with Henry."

Evelyn made a series of slow nods. "There's your sensitivity again. But I'm sure it won't bother you when we remove the brevet, acting and temporary ranks from Wilfred. The position as Aide-de-Camp specifies a Captain, though a Lieutenant or a Major is allowed."

"My sensitivities are limited to people without artifice. We can hope the reversion to Captain will assist him in finding some genuineness."

"I'm looking forward to having you here for more than fleeting visits."

"I'll have to take a seven-week break to do my Swiss Army training in the spring. That might complicate matters."

"We'll deal with that when we get closer to it, David. But now, I have a message to draft to Mr Asquith, and you've one to William. Let's get this situation back on track."