Chapter One

Sonnenhang, Switzerland — Friday, 17 December 1915

As David and Maria drove northward from Bern, he touched on highlights from his three days in Germany, and she shared details from her exams and practicals at the university. A few minutes before noon, David stopped the Lancia at the side of the road just before the lane leading up to Sonnenhang, and they sat mesmerised by the idyllic setting.

Maria breathed a deep sigh as she looked across the vineyards at the schloss and its surrounding buildings

Maria breathed a deep sigh as she looked across the vineyards at the schloss and its surrounding buildings. "This feels like home. Odd, isn't it? I've spent only a few weeks here, but I have such a strong sense of this as my home. Come, let's head up the lane and find Mama and Tante. I can't believe it's been six months."

A while later, after hugs and greetings, David returned to the car to bring in their luggage. "I'll have one of the men help me with your trunk later. Let's take these up and clean for lunch."

Upstairs, he opened the door to their suite and gestured for her to enter. She stood just inside and burst into tears, then turned to hug him. "You didn't tell me about the new furniture." She lifted her head from his chest and turned to examine the new decor. "I love it. When did you do this?"

"Soon after I returned from Oxford. It started with my needing a bed to better fit my size than yours did. Then Tante and your mother and I worked together on redecorating the entire suite. I'm pleased you like it."

"I love it." She squeezed him and giggled. "Can we try the bed?"

"We can do that after lunch, Gorgeous." He kissed her forehead. "Let's clean and go down and be sociable for a while."

During lunch, Maria, Rachel and Bethia added details to what they'd written in letters the previous many months; medical school in Bern, the grape harvest, the new wine, the ham and sausage business, among other things. Then Maria asked her mother about the marriage permit.

Rachel smiled as she said, "Both were issued on Monday."

"Both?" Maria tilted her head. "Do David and I each need one? Seems complex, I thought we'd be on the same permit."

"You are, Sweetheart, but Georg and I also need one."

Maria clasped her hands over her mouth and sat silently staring at her mother, tears rolling down her cheeks. When she had regained her composure, she stood and rushed around the table to hug her as David rose and shook Georg's hand. Then all four of them hugged. After a long, silent embrace, Maria said, "This is so wonderful, Mama. I'm so delighted for you. I'm sure you've also organised the ceremonies."

"We posted the legal notices in the Municipal Hall on Monday, and they must be up for ten days before we can be married. We've arranged to have the Registrar officiate at three o'clock next Friday afternoon. We also learned religious weddings are no longer recognised." She laughed. "Besides, belonging to none, we'd be hard-pressed to convince a synagogue or a church to perform the ceremonies for us."

They all returned to their seats and resumed eating, the conversation now on the details of the wedding. "The Registrar told me the ceremony takes about three minutes, mainly affirming our intentions, signing the register and having it witnessed. We'll act as your witnesses, and you'll act as ours."

"Sounds so simple; not at all like my dreams from the fairytales."

"Very simple until we drive back here and have a big celebration with everybody. Tante and I have been busy planning."

Maria sighed, then gazed into David's eyes. "What need is there for ladies-in-waiting, flowing white gowns and flower girls? I have my Prince Charming, and that's all that matters."