Chapter Twenty-Two

Küsnacht, Switzerland

The sun tinted the mountains with pale golds and pinks as David drove along the lake out of Zürich, and daylight was fading when he steered the Lancia down the slope and into the Smeaton's courtyard in Küsnacht. He got out and assisted Mary from the car while Michael gave a hand to Maria.

"We'll take the luggage in now, but leave the wine until after we've relaxed from the drive," Michael said. "Then we can put your auto in the carriage house and unload it from there. It gives better access to the cellar."

David and Michael each lifted two bags from the boot and followed the women into the house. Mary examined her coat as she removed it. "Not a speck of dust. That's a far cleaner and more comfortable way to travel than in our auto." She turned to Michael. "We really should look again at purchasing one with an enclosed coach."

"I was thinking the same as we drove, and about how we daren't take ours out in anything but fine conditions." He shrugged. "Except for a few fair-weather runs, it stays inside and idle from autumn to spring."

Murielle came into the foyer to greet them, then she hustled off to prepare tea. Mary pointed along the hallway. "Take your bags to your room and refresh. We'll meet you in the parlour."

As the four sat relaxing and enjoying their tea, Michael began talking again about automobiles. "There have been many attempts to create a motorcar industry in Switzerland, but with our small market, there has been little success. Most ventures have lasted only a few years before failing; the latest to close was only months ago, after less than two years in business."

"That would make it difficult for repairs and replacement parts," David said. "I would prefer to buy from a larger and well-established builder."

"That's where the problem lies. Our companies cannot gain sufficient business to give that stability. That's why most people here buy from Italy, Germany and France, where larger markets allow companies to grow and prosper."

"So, your car? It's Swiss-made?"

"No, there were only two surviving companies when we were searching, and neither had anything that enthused us. Ours was built by a Spanish-Swiss collaboration. They still build some in Barcelona, but a few years ago, they set up a plant outside Paris to take advantage of the larger French market, and this has allowed them to survive."

"That's clever. But now with the war, that market would be shrinking..." He paused to think. "Though, I've read the automobile makers have turned their efforts to building vehicles for the Army and engines for aeroplanes."

"Yes, they've gained stability from the instability." Michael chuckled, then shook his head. "Not funny. It's the sad reality." He looked into his empty teacup, then at the remaining shortbread. "I must stop, else I won't have room for dinner. Come, David, let's carry the wine down to the cellar."

Outside, Michael opened the doors to the carriage house, then David drove in and stopped next to Michael and Mary's car. "Yes, I can see why it's a fair-weather vehicle. The coachwork would offer even less protection than I had with the lorry. Does it have side curtains?"

 Does it have side curtains?"