Chapter Thirty-Eight

After the lunch meeting had concluded, Henry accompanied David to the Attaché office to show him the locations of files and documents, and to discuss procedures and protocols. "This is a list of Military Attachés in the other embassies. It's expected you wear your uniform on official visits, such as next week when you do your rounds to introduce yourself to them." He chuckled. "Your beard disguises your youth very well."

David nodded as he stroked it. "I'll have to stitch on my new rank. Good thing I hadn't already replaced the stars with the crown. Now all that's required is to exchange a star with a crown and triple the braid."

Henry offered him a puzzled expression. "I wasn't aware you had been promoted to major. Did I miss it in the excitement of destroying trains?"

"William informed me while I was in London two weeks ago, Sir."

"All the more reason for you to stop calling me sir."

They carried on with the familiarisation, and while Henry was outlining some projects which would be safe to have Wyndcom work on, Miss Hutchins knocked on the door and opened it. "The Ambassador asked me to give you this, Colonel Berry." She handed him a large manilla envelope, then smiled and left.

David glanced at the file label in the upper right corner. "This should be interesting. Captain Wyndcom's record dossier."

Henry pursed his lips and nodded. "That hadn't arrived before I left for London. I'm sure if I had had the opportunity to read through it, I wouldn't have given him such free reign while I was away."

David opened the envelope and pulled out the contents. "Best we find out what we're dealing with."

"I'll leave you with it, David. I have no need to know its contents in my new position."

"True, He's my problem now." He looked around the office, then back to Henry. "What else do I need to know here?"

"I think we're pretty much finished. I'll leave you to explore and become familiar, and we can discuss any arisings with Cognac after dinner."

After Picot had left, David began reading through the large assortment of folders and envelopes in Wyndcom's dossier. He arrived at a folder labelled Court Martial, and opened it.

Disobeying lawful commands: Lt Colonel Wyndcom disobeyed the lawful order to lead his Battalion forward to counter the enemy.

Obstructing operations: Lt Colonel Wyndcom delayed without lawful excuse, the execution of his mission.

Misconduct on operations: In the vicinity of the enemy, Lt Colonel Wyndcom failed to use utmost exertions to carry out lawful orders.

David leafed through the pages shaking his head, then he paused and stared at a sheet of maps. Oh, God! The idiot was there. Likely why it took so long for our reinforcements to arrive.

 Likely why it took so long for our reinforcements to arrive