Chapter Twenty

David, Georg, Michael and Jacob had the background of singing and storytelling as they washed and dried the dishes and cleaned the kitchen. David looked up from breaking up the goose carcasses and putting the pieces into a cauldron. "Seems they enjoyed it. There's barely enough left for soup."

"Keep the fat, David, Maddie says it's better than butter for cooking."

"There's an amazing amount of it. Looks like a gallon or more."

Jacob turned from the sink and looked at the roasting pan. "About a quarter of the weight of a goose is fat, and it renders into the pan when roasting. We store it in a big crock and use it for cooking. I love frying potatoes in it."

Georg shook his head, then said, "I've much to learn." He laughed. "But Rachel says she's patient, and she'll slowly domesticate me."

The men continued their light banter as they finished the kitchen chores, then they returned to the drawing room to loud cheers and applause. The singing and storytelling continued, and at a lull, Georg stood. "I used to sit in my room alone and drink in the evening, so when I came here, I brought a good stock. But with a beautiful woman distracting me, I've not had a chance to open any."

He smiled at Rachel. "Get glasses for everyone. I'll go up and fetch some bottles." He returned two minutes later with three, and he poured everyone a good measure. "A fine Cognac such as this needs to be shared." He cradled his glass in his hand and gently rocked the amber fluid. "Hold it like this and allow the warmth of your hand to gradually warm it. It puts off an amazing aroma this way, the flavours expand, and we can savour it for an hour or more."

<><><>

Shortly past nine thirty, at a lull in the storytelling and reminiscing, Rick rose and walked to the tree, then he turned and faced David. "Thank you for allowing us to share this day with you, Sir. For making us feel part of it. Part of the family."

He swept his arm past the other ten soldiers. "We all chipped in to buy you a present, but we could find nothing in the shops in Schaffhausen. We'll keep searching this week, but we're still trying to decide what you need. What you'd like. Have you any suggestions?"

David blushed. "A good book to read to distract me while I'm away. I'm almost finished Rosshalde by Hermann Hesse, and I enjoy his style. He has several others published, and he's very popular in Germany, so there are likely some of his other novels in the bookshops here." He smiled as most of the men pulled pencils and notepads from their pockets.

Rick lifted his arm to check the time, and he kept it up as he rotated his wrist to examine the watch. "Always wanted one of these." He shook his head. "But it's telling me we're risking overstaying our welcome." He turned to the others and continued, "We should be going."

After a long round of farewells, David closed the door behind the last of the eleven departing men. Then he turned and pulled Maria into a hug. "What a fine team they are."

"And what a fine leader they have."

"And what a magnificent wife I have." They kissed, then David led her into the drawing room to rejoin the others.

They all shared their appreciation of the men and talked about how difficult it must be for them to be away from home and family for such an extended time. Then David said, "The only stability they have is each other — and us. At the Front, we had the support of the YMCA and the Red Cross and their comforts when we rotated back from the trenches." He trembled. "We must provide those comforts for them here."

David looked down at his hands and continued, "At least here, they have creature comforts and a sense of calm. There's not the crack of gunfire, the boom of artillery, the putrid stench, the mangled bodies..." He shook his head. "Sorry I..."

Maria stroked his back and kneaded his neck. "That must be horrid; living in the trenches."

"We didn't live in them. We'd rotate. Four days in the firing trench, four in the secondary trench and four in the reserve trench. Then fall back for a four-day break behind the lines. Unless there was action, most of the time, the two sides cooperated. After the Front stabilised late last year, it became a game of holding positions while offensives were planned."

David shook his head again. "So crazy to look at this now. From here. But artillery, mortars and sniper fire paused so the men could relax during their meals. A schedule had evolved, and each side respected it. I wonder if they've again done impromptu truces this Christmas."

Maria looked askance. "Impromptu truces? What are they?"

"Last Christmas, in many sections of the Front, soldiers shouted Christmas greetings to the enemy across no man's land. Some set aside their weapons and ventured forward with white flags to talk and exchange gifts. There are several reports of football games and carol singing, and —"

"People being people." Maria nodded. "I can see that. The German soldiers want the fighting as little as we do. It's not their war. It's been imposed on them. They have families back home they'd far prefer to be with."

"I saw reports saying that in many areas, soldiers from both sides spent the day recovering bodies from between the trenches and burying them," Georg said. "Also, many prisoners were exchanged. But there was official condemnation, calling it fraternising with the enemy. Officers and NCOs were charged and some court-marshalled for allowing it to happen."

Maria shook her head. "For wanting to be human. Wanting to be humane. Soldiers are little more than the pawns of pompous idiots strutting their power."

"And we need to clean both sides of the idiots. But, let's get back to here. Back to now. Back to us." David smiled at each of the others. "What a splendid day this has been."

He stood and took Maria's hand. "I'm going to take this beautiful creature upstairs to continue our celebrations. See you all in the morning."