Chapter Three

Mid-afternoon, David demonstrated to Maria the comforts of their new bed, and they lay under the duvet gently shifting their hips while he answered her questions about Georg. "He's forty-four, so three years older than your mother."

"You told me a few weeks ago he had never married. That seems strange for such an attractive man. How did he miss getting caught?"

"I've thought after his fiancée cuckolded him, he withdrew. I've not discussed it with him, but I suppose his leaving Switzerland for England to join the Army and fight in the South African war — that would be a way to get away from his shame and embarrassment. He was a sergeant teaching explosives at the Engineering School in Chatham when we recruited him for this mission."

Their conversation turned to David sharing details from his German trip. "It was easier to gain access to the Kaserne in Freiburg than the one in Donaueschingen, though neither presented any great difficulty."

"Did you visit any jewellers, or did you concentrate on the Army?"

"No shops this trip. I needed to gather intelligence on the results of our work. I'm amazed how easy it was to gain information — innocent conversation was so easily directed to harvest titbits. Some of the officers are incredibly naïve, and at times, I had to cut them off lest we be overheard by more sensible ones. Piecing together small gems from several exchanges, gave me a clear picture, and...."

David paused and ran his hands down Maria's back to cup her butt cheeks. "I sense you're approaching another, so I'll allow you to focus on enjoying it."

After Maria had recovered and started another gentle churning, she asked, "So where did you go? How did you meet the officers?"

"Paul suggested I set up displays in the messes. That's what he's been doing in England, and he thought it would also work in Germany. I got permission to set up in the foyer of the Officers' Mess of the Badisches Infanterie-Regiment as the officers came in for afternoon coffee and again in the evening. The Rolex placard and the display of samples attracted immediate attention. The brochures and the chronometer certifications made it so easy to engage the officers in a lively discussion on accuracy."

Maria giggled. "And you smoothly directed them to offer too much information, didn't you?"

"Having the most accurate wristwatch in the world intrigued many, and since we were discussing superlatives, there was a sense of braggadocio. I barely had to dig at all; just direct." He chuckled. "The first thing I learned is the public is being told an earthquake had caused the closure of the three rail lines and two roads. But better, the Army knows it was French sympathisers in Alsace and Lorraine who caused the damage."

Maria sniggered. "Blaming their own people keeps them from suspecting someone crossing the border. Did you find out how much damage you had done?"

"They estimate the Hell Valley will take three months to clear and rebuild. That's both the rail and the road, so the road convoys from Donaueschingen to the Front in Alsace now have nearly three times the distance to travel. The line from Donaueschingen to Offenburg will take two and a half months, and the repair of the Biesenbach viaduct will take five months."

"So, did you sell any watches, or were you too busy gathering information?"

"I sold thirty-six, all but two women's models and the samples. I was tempted to dig into the ones I had bought for the men as Christmas gifts, but I resisted."

"Thirty-six! In two days?"

"I have orders for seven more in Donaueschingen, but I told them I wouldn't be able to bring them until after Christmas." David chuckled. "That's when I learned of their intended movements the next while. God, are they ever naïve."