Chapter Twenty-Five

Michael introduced the Mouton and the Latour as they all tasted them. Then he looked down at his plate. "But, let's begin eating. This looks and smells splendid."

Between bites and sips, Michael talked about the Bordeaux region. "We visit the Burgundy and the Rhône every year, but Bordeaux is a more complex trip requiring five trains. We try to get there every second year to taste and select wines to purchase."

"Wouldn't it be easier and less expensive to purchase wines from the local merchants here in Küsnacht? And the larger ones in Zürich?"

"A little, David, but mainly by saving on the travelling time. The merchants' prices balance the costs of train, hired car and driver and most of the wine. But the merchants' tastes are not ours, and by tasting with the producers, we find far finer wines to satisfy our palates. But most importantly, we get to meet the people behind the wines, and this adds depth to our appreciation."

"Like buying Bethia's and Rachel's wines," Mary added. "We know them, and so we picture them and their settings every time we open a bottle."

"We've been privileged to meet many of the great winemakers, tasted with them, and shared meals. We've discovered a superb hospitality offered by the proprietors to visiting buyers, and our regular visits have allowed us to develop a list of favourite châteaux. The Rothschild family own two of these." He lifted his glass of Mouton. "This is one of them, and the other is Château Lafite, and though the Lafite is more highly regarded by many, we prefer the Mouton."

Michael swirled his glass and put it to his nose. "This has evolved since we last opened a bottle. They use a high percentage of Cabernet Sauvignon in their blend; whereas, Lafite has more Merlot. I had thought of showing the two cousins together this evening, but I was more curious about how the Mouton is faring against the Latour. It's in the same commune, and their blends are very similar to each other."

"I love this game." David lifted his two glasses, swirled the wines and passed them alternately under his nose. "So similar." He took a sip of the Latour and savoured it, then did the same with the Mouton, then he went back and sipped the Latour again. "I continue to flip-flop on which I prefer."

Michael chuckled. "I'm equally undecided." He smiled across the table at David and Maria. "I'm delighted you two are here so we can do this." He looked down at his plate. "Let's not forget to eat."

<><><>

Hours later, David and Maria lay under the duvet in an intimate embrace, gently moving as they talked. "I was surprised by Grandpa's lack of reaction when you called circumcision mutilation. Opa was taken aback when we talked about it, almost shocked to think his penis had been mutilated."

"But Grandpa wasn't born Jewish. He's not been —"

"What? I thought he was."

"No, I learned that last night at Sonnenhang when Grandma was surprised by Rachel and Oma talking about the pain. A large part of their moving to Switzerland had been to get away from the harassment by their families. For him marrying a Jew and for her marrying a Gentile."

"Interesting. But your mother was raised as a Jew. At least I gathered that from what she said in the mountains about dating Jewish boys, and from her telling us she had both your brothers cut by the rabbi."

"Grandpa had done an informal conversion so he and Grandma could be married. I've not asked, but they likely raised Mama with all the traditions."

"Including amputating a large portion of their manhood. What a sick tradition that is." David gave a gentle thrust. "I'm so thankful I wasn't born a Jew."