Chapter Forty-Six

Sonnenhang, Switzerland

David had the splendid backdrop of the setting sun illuminating the schloss and its outbuildings as he drove up the lane to Sonnenhang. He placed the Lancia beside the two Daimler vans in the courtyard, picked up his satchel and the bag from Hans and headed inside, calling, "Hello," as he opened the door and stepped into the foyer.

"In here, David. We've just begun tea." Bethia's voice said.

He set his load down and headed along the hallway to the drawing room to join her, Rachel and Georg. After greetings, he sat. "Everyone agrees with our assessment that the bridge is an unwarranted risk. We need to focus our resources much higher up the system. Concentrate on disrupting the supply end of it, not on the delivery."

"I'm pleased," Georg set his teacup down and looked up. "Far too high a risk of being apprehended. Captured. We have no way of knowing whether they mount night guards at the piers. If I were protecting the bridge, I certainly would."

"Exactly. I've told the French attaché we can supply the explosives and diagrams of suggested charge shapes and placements."

Rachel nodded as she finished her bite of shortbread, then she said. "I'm relieved. I could feel Georg's concern as he told me about it."

"We've a bolder but less risky task. Six of the men will become artillery fuse salesmen." David paused to smile at their puzzled expressions. "An aggressive fuse salesman must find munitions factories to which to sell his wares. It's a great cover for them as they follow railway tank cars to and from the ammonia plant to identify our targets."

"Another of your brilliant blank-mind ideas, David?" Bethia asked.

"It emerged during a discussion in Bern." He told them about the use of fuses and of Germany's problem maintaining sufficient supplies. "I have three sets of fuses and their documentation and pricing for the men to carry in case they are stopped and questioned."

"I like this," Georg said. "It shows a desire to help, which should ease suspicions."

"That's what we thought. Hans refined the idea from being company representatives to having the men act as independent agents."

Georg nodded. "That adds to the plausibility of the cover. So, how do you see it being set up?"

"You and I are going to sort that out. Basically, I see three teams of two. One working on finding the source or sources of natural gas or whatever they use for hydrogen, and the other two teams tracking the product leaving the plant." David picked up the teapot. "But now, let's turn to other topics. Who wants some hot?"

<><><>

David and Georg remained in the drawing room discussing ideas and formulating plans after Bethia and Rachel had cleared away the tea service. "My thoughts are to have the three corporals each lead a pair. To select the other three, we can have them draw straws."

Georg nodded. "Good idea. Rick and Manny have been chomping at the bit to play a more active role, and among the other eight, three played in November and December, and five didn't, so the odds are in favour of the uninitiated ones drawing the marked straws."

"Those were my thoughts. But, what if we selected them based on skills and ability, rather than by chance?"

"That would be tough to do. For a task such as this, there's little if any difference among them. Picking them would be the same as having them draw lots."

David pulled a blank page from his notebook, tore it into eight pieces and pencilled a check mark on three. "Let's fold these, then go down to the mess."

Three minutes later, David stood in front of the gathered team. "Is there any among you not feeling up to a rigorous adventure? Any aches, pains or illness which might impair your fullest effort in the next few days?"

After he had watched their shaking heads, he placed the folded pieces of paper into his hat. "The three corporals, Rick, Manny and Franz have already been selected. From the remaining eight, we need three." He passed the hat around. "The three check marks come with us."

Ernst was the first to let out a whoop, followed two picks later by Hans. Dolf was the last to pick, and he looked at the other seven with a broad smile on his face. "Don't even have to unfold it do I?"

Otto grabbed the small wad from Dolf's hand. "I was going to pick that one." He opened it and chuckled. "You can have mine."

"Right. Georg will remain in Sonnenhang with you other five." David pointed to Fred, Greg, Wolf, Günter and Otto. "We'll have missions for you in the near future. In the meantime, you need to remain here maintaining our cover. I know working on the new vineyard isn't as exciting as watching Fritz, but it is essential."

David bent and picked up his bag, placed it on a chair and pulled out the sample fuses, laying them on the table. "Let's gather the six around here. Pass these among you and examine them. Become familiar with how they function." He laid the folder of documentation beside them. "Their operation and features are clearly explained in here. You need to act as if you are agents seeking sales of artillery fuse mechanisms."

"And where will we peddle them?"

"That's what your mission is, Rick. To search for and locate their munitions factories. Acting as fuse salesmen from Switzerland is your cover."

David watched them all nod. "The more you know about your product and its features, the more convincing your ruse if you're questioned. Your task now is to study these." He lifted the folder of papers. "And relate the information to the fuses."

"Where will we be playing this game?" Hans asked.

"About two hundred kilometres north of here, three hundred by road, in the area around Mannheim and its chemical plants. That's where Fritz is synthesising ammonia for use in making explosives. You'll be tracking the railway tank cars arriving and departing the ammonia plant, identifying sources and destinations."

David glanced at his watch. "I'll be down after dinner with maps and more details. That gives you nearly three hours to absorb this." He looked up at the other five who were paying rapt attention. "Join in with them and help each other understand it. You'll need to know all this in the coming weeks."