Learning To Love Again Epilogue

“Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to Tommy, Happy Birthday to you” We sang before Thomas blew out his candles. It was Thomas’ 8th birthday.

“I love you mum” he said as he opened his presents. Jackson coughed. “I love you too, dad”. He smiled.

“Good boy” Jackson chuckled. “How are my beautiful girls?” He asked, walking further into the room.

“We’re great, aren’t we, little one?” I cooed to the little 8 month old girl sat playing with her toys Jackson walked over and lifted her up. 

It’s been 3 and half years since the accident. Thomas had to use a wheelchair for a while until he gained enough strength to walk again. We got married 2 years ago and Thomas was Page boy. It was lovely. I wore a lovely white dress with a long train. Baby Daisy came along 16 months later and we were so happy and that’s when Thomas had decided he wanted to call Jackson dad. Jackson was shocked first, but we’ve got used to it and everyone’s happy now.

I stood up and turned to face Jackson and Daisy and hugged them both as we watched Thomas open his presents.

“I love you” I whispered to Jackson and rested my head on his shoulders. “I love you too” he replied.

He passed his exam and had got the job as registrar in A&E and everything was just working out in the way I’d hoped my life would. I’d wasted so much time with Alex and now, it was my turn to be happy. And I was going to make sure that’s what I was, no matter what. Happy.