Learning To Love Again Chapter 14

JACKSON'S POV

I was driving down the M1 towards Milton Keynes. I had an idea of where I was going. I remembered Payton telling me that she lived near a park in Milton Keynes and she loved going there to relax. Well, that and I’d found her file at the hospital and got her previous address. Stuff patient confidentiality, I had to find Thomas. When I’d found her address, I couldn’t help but take a peek at her medical history. My eyes scanned the pages. All from the last 6 years. Broken wrists, concussion, broken ribs. And the most recent ones; broken nose and fractured skull. That bastard had put them both through so much, and now he was putting them through more shit by kidnapping Thomas. He was risking Thomas’ life. When I found the park, I looked around for the address I had written down and saw it on the other side of the road. I waited for a few moments before getting out the car and walking towards the door and knocked. There was no answer, but as I looked around, the curtains twitched.

“Mr Benton?” I shouted through the letterbox. “My name’s Jackson, I’m a DR from Redhill A&E. I just want to make sure that Thomas is alright. Can I come in and take a look at him?”

“Fuck off!” I heard him reply.

“Please, Mr Benton, you’re endangering your son’s life. He needs treatment. You’ve moved him, he needs to be checked over.”

“You’re alone?” He asked. I saw the curtains move again and he was looking out the window, making sure I wasn’t lying.

“Yes, I’m alone.” There was a brief pause before I heard the locks click on the door and he opened it. I followed him inside and found Thomas lying on the sofa. His heart rate was up slightly, but apart from that, without any equipment, I couldn’t tell much more. “We really need to get Thomas to hospital, Mr Benton. His rate is up, there’s something wrong. Am I okay to phone for an ambulance?” I asked, looking up at him.

“No!” He shouted grabbing hold of me and pulling me back. I stamped on his foot and pulled out of his grasp, turned round and punched him in the face. He stumbled backwards before swinging his arm and punching me in the stomach. I doubled over in pain and grunted and felt his knee hit my face. I fell backwards and noticed something in his hand. What was that? Then I realised. He had a knife. He lifted me up and pulled me towards the kitchen. He opened one of the kitchen drawers, and pulled out some tape and a gun

“You’re not phoning anyone” He scowled as he tied me to a chair. “I know who you are. You’re the bloke my girlfriend’s been seeing, right?”

“And I know who you are” I spat back. “You’re a druggy who raped and beat your girlfriend because she didn’t like what you were doing and she wouldn’t put out.” He didn’t like that. I felt his fist hit my face again. I carried on. “You’re a druggy who put drugs before your own child! I don’t know why you bothered coming to the hospital to see Thomas, you don’t give a shit.” That did it. He grabbed a tea towel off the counter and gagged me.

“I hope you enjoyed saying that, because those are going to be your last words!” he was right in my face.  With that, the front door burst open and Alex lunged at me. I looked down and there was blood everywhere. I heard shouting and gunshots. Then I heard Payton’s voice. She was screaming. I looked around and saw her at the door crying. Then everything went black.

 PAYTON''S POV

As Jackson left, I sat up and Mary Jane came in to see me. “Where’s he going?” she asked.

“To find Alex” I said in a voice I barely recognised as I got off the bed and put on my shoes.

“Where are you going?” She asked, curiously.

“To tell the police. I know where he’s gone. I know where Alex has taken Thomas.”

“Well there are some policemen outside; do you want me to bring them in?” I nodded and sat back on the bed. A few moments later, 2 policemen came in and one sat on the bed with me while the other one stood up next to the bed.

“You have some information?” the officer on the bed asked.

“Yeah. I know where Alex has taken Thomas.” I replied. “He’s taken him back home. Thomas loved it when Alex spent time at home with us. That’s where he’ll have taken him.”

“Is Thomas in any danger being with Alex?” the other officer asked. I nodded.

“He’s got a gun he keeps hidden away. And Jackson’s gone looking for him too.”

“Ok, give us your old address and we’ll send some officers out there” the first officer said.

“I want to go too. I need to make sure Thomas is ok” I said as he pulled out a notepad. They looked at each other and nodded.

“Only if you stay in the car. We’ll take a female officer along and you can sit with her while we make sure everything’s ok”

 I nodded and gave them the address in Milton Keynes and followed them out to the police car. The ride back there was slow and torturous. When we were nearly there, I heard on the car radio that there were officers already down there and they were waiting for orders to go in. Then 5 minutes later, I heard that they were going in. My heart started trying to jump out of my chest and I got fidgety. When we finally arrived, I ignored what the policemen had said back at the hospital and ran inside looking for Thomas and Jackson. Just as I walked in, I saw Alex lunge at Jackson with a knife.  Then Jackson turned on the police, and there were gunshots. I screamed. There was so much going on; I didn’t know where to look. I walked into the living room and saw Thomas lying on the sofa. He looked so peaceful. I sat with him until the paramedics came and led us all away.