Learning To Love Again Chapter 3 >>>> Picture of Thomas

I woke up, sunlight pouring in through the windows, it looked like a nice day, and sun was shining bright.  I looked at the clock, it was 6:30.

“Time for another day” I sighed, climbed out of bed and made my way into the bathroom for a shower.

 It had been 6 months since the last time I’d seen Alex and I’d moved back to Redhill in Surrey to be nearer my family and friends. It had taken me a while to get back to normal life and I’d hardly left the house at all. I just couldn’t face people. This was such a small town, everyone knew what had happened, and I couldn’t face people talking about me like that. If I wasn’t there to see it, it wasn’t so bad, but I just couldn’t take it happening to my face. Maybe I was a coward, but to be honest, I didn’t care. I just wanted to cower away and be by myself.

Thomas and I had moved into our own little flat the week previous. I’d decided it was time to get my head sorted, get out there, start doing things for myself again.

I turned on the shower and stepped in. It was cold, but nice. I looked down at all the scars that Alex had inflicted on me and was disgusted. I thought back to the day I’d left the hospital.

I got out the shower and got dressed in some trousers and a white blouse with a cardigan over the top. It was my first day at work today. My parents had put us up for long enough, I needed to get out and get us sorted for ourselves. I went downstairs into the kitchen, to find Thomas already sat at the kitchen table eating Cheerio’s.

“Hello, beautiful”, I said Kissing him on the head. Pointing to the bowl in front of him, I asked “Are those nice?”

“Yes, Mummy. I’ve got Cheerio’s” He replied grinning from ear to ear. He was so cute. I kissed him again, on the cheek, grabbed myself a bowl and some cereal and sat next to him.

“Are you looking forward to going to school today?” I asked him

“Mmm” He replied, nodding with a mouthful of cereal.

I chuckled, thinking about the day ahead.

 I’d hardy left the house since moving back here, and now, I’d be leaving for 8 whole hours. I was scared. My friend Mary Jane had found me a job working the reception at the hospital she was a nurse at and I was scared. Mary Jane was my best friend back in school. She’d been the only person to actually stick by me when I swore at her and told her that my life was my life and I didn’t care what she thought about Alex. I loved him and everyone else should butt out. All my other friends had deemed me a ‘Bitch’ and that I will learn the hard way, one day. Well, I did learn the hard way. It took 6 years and countless visits to the hospital for me to come to my senses. But I was practically friend-less. They weren’t bothered anymore. “Are you okay, mummy?” Thomas asked, bringing me out of my thoughts.

“Yes, darling, I’m fine, are you ready to go?” I asked, looking at the clock, noticing it was half past eight already and ushering him out the door.

As I dropped Thomas off at school, I sent Mary Jane a text. I’ll B there in about 10 minutes x. I sent it and started walking faster. I got a reply straight away.  Ok, C U soon x

When I arrived, she was there waiting for me.

“Are you nervous?” She asked, as I hugged her “I know it’s taken a lot for you to do this.”

“A little. I’ve never had a job before.” I replied, pulling my cardigan tighter around me

 “I know, darling. We’ll go for a drink afterwards if you want?”

I nodded, grateful for the offer and we made our way inside.

I’d be working alongside another receptionist, for a few days. She’d found another job and was leaving in a week. She was sticking around a little bit longer to show me the ropes.

The day went quite quick, I picked up most of the basics. I’d learned the filing system, figured out how to work the computer system and I’d met a couple of the nurses and doctors I’d be working with. I was quite pleased with myself and as I left that evening, I couldn’t help the feeling of self-achievement.