Learning To Love Again Chapter 4

JACKSON'S POV

“Urgh!” I groaned as I continued searching through the folders in front of me. “Robinson, James….Robinson, James.” I muttered to myself searching over and over.

“What’s wrong with you?” I heard a voice behind me, and jumped out of my skin.  

“Fuck, Max! You scared the shit outta me.” I stood up, shoved him out the way and ran my hands through my hair. I was stressed out. I’d been searching for a patient’s file for half an hour now, and I couldn’t find it anywhere. “I can’t find James Robinson’s file” I grumbled, before sitting back down in my seat.

“You mean this one?” Max asked, whilst holding up a file that had the name ROBINSON, JAMES printed on the front. I banged my head on the table and laughed.

“Where was that? I’ve been looking for that for ages, man!” I asked. I stood up, grabbed the file and headed over to where my patient was waiting for me.

“Have you been awake all night again?” He asked, raising his eyebrows suggestively.

“Nah, man, just couldn’t sleep. I’ve got that exam coming up, and I spent all night stressing about it.” I replied, truthfully. I’d been preparing for my surgical exam for months, and was starting to get nervous, as it was only a week until the day I’d be taking the most important exam of my career so far. Max had already passed his exams and was a Registrar on one of the wards in the hospital. The exams I was taking were for Registrar here in A&E. But even then, I wasn’t guaranteed to get the job.

“Well, how about you take a break tonight, and we go out. Neither of us has to be at work tomorrow” Max asked, hopeful. “We’ll pick up a couple of girls and take them back to the flat.” He suggested, smiling.  

“Yeah, sure, go on then” I replied “It might help me de-stress. Meet you back at the flat and we’ll leave from there, yeah?” I asked, and headed in the direction of my patient. Actually, picking up some girls always has been my favourite way of de-stressing. There was no ‘might’ about it.

The rest of my shift went quite fast, I had 6 patients including a car crash victim, who’d died after deciding that driving into a lamppost was a good idea, and a pregnant teenager with stomach pains.

That night, I got to the bar before Max, so I sat down, ordered a JD and coke and looked round the room wondering who the lucky girl would be tonight. There was a group of 4 girls sat in the corner chatting away, giggling.  There were a couple of blondes, a redhead and a couple of brunettes. I could have any one of them I thought, before I heard the chair scrape along the floor next to me. It was Max.

“Which one, then?” he asked. “I like the redhead” he stated, before I got the chance to reply. I looked around the room again and spotted a brunette at the other end of the bar. She had the most flawless, beautiful face, and slimline figure. She was wearing a long sleeved long bodied orange top with light blue skinny jeans and heels. I felt my dick come to attention, just looking at her, I had to have her.

“That one.” I nodded in the direction of the girl and he looked round in the same direction. I finished my drink and headed over to where she was stood. She shifted nervously in her chair, her hands intertwined with each other repeatedly as she fidgeted with them. “Hello, beautiful, my name’s Jackson. What’s yours?” I asked in a voice that was huskier than normal.

She looked up, looking even more beautiful up close. “Uh, I’m Payton” she replied shyly.

“Would you like a drink?” I asked, noticing that her glass was nearly empty.

She raised her glass to show me. “I already have one.” She paused before continuing. “Ok, sure.” She smiled. “I’ll have another white wine, please.” I called the barman over and ordered our drinks.

“Have you been here before, then?” I enquired. I’d not seen her around before. I’m sure I’d recognise her if I’d seen her before, she was absolutely beautiful

“This is my first time in here.” She replied warily. “I lived in Redhill when I was younger, but moved to Milton Keynes 6 years ago. 6 months ago, I came back to be nearer my family.” She explained. “What about you? She asked.

“I’ve been living here for 4 years now. I come in here a lot.” I admitted. “What do you do?” I asked her curiously.

“I’m a receptionist at the moment. I just started a new job today” She answered. All I could do was stand staring at her. When she noticed me watching her, she blushed and giggled.

I looked at the dancefloor briefly and asked if she’d like to dance.

“Um, I’m waiting for my friend.” She replied glancing at the door. I followed her gaze and saw a blonde haired girl walk in, who I briefly recognised from the hospital.

“Come on, Dollface, I’m sure your friend wouldn’t begrudge me having a few minutes of your night out?” I grinned at her friend.

“Making friends already are we?” her friend chuckled. They hugged and kissed each other on the cheek.  Mary Jane whispered something into Payton’s ear and Payton laughed.

“This is my friend Mary Jane. Mary Jane, this is Jackson.” Payton introduced. I looked at Mary Jane. She had blonde shoulder length hair, green eyes and very long legs. She was pretty, but not as pretty as Payton.

“I was just asking Payton to dance.” I returned to the conversation we were having before Mary Jane arrived. “Do you mind if I steal your friend for 2 minutes?”

“Sure” Mary Jane smiled. “If Payton’s ok with it, I won’t stand in your way.” We both looked at Payton, waiting for her answer. Please say yes, please say yes. I thought. Mary Jane whispered something into Payton’s ear again and Payton nodded.

“Ok” she smiled at me. I noticed that she had the most beautiful smile.

I grabbed her hand and escorted her to the dancefloor. Her hand was soft and slightly clammy. I could tell she was nervous, her breathing was shallow and she felt tense. I pulled her towards me and felt her wrap her arms around my neck. I wrapped my arms around her tiny waist, and resisted the urge to place my hands on her backside in case I went too far. After a few minutes, I felt her relax against me, resting her head on my chest and her breathing deepened. We danced like that for the entire song not saying a word. The song finished and she looked up at me and smiled. She pulled away quickly and stepped backwards.

“Uh, thank you.” She said suddenly seeming nervous again. She looked down at her feet and twiddled her fingers.

“Would you like to go get something to eat?” I asked. Taking a step towards her, I took her hand into mine. I didn’t want to push it, but I wanted to get to know her more.

“Mary Jane’s only just got here” she replied moving away from me again. What was wrong with her? Usually I could charm the pants off a girl before I’d even spoken.

“OK, well, how about this weekend, then? We could go out, get something to eat together?” I was determined not to let her get away without getting her into bed. Payton looked at Mary Jane and Mary Jane looked at Payton.

“Um, no thanks. I’m busy.” she said as she turned away, grabbed Mary Jane’s hand and walked out the door.

I went to find Max and found him sat at the bar with some ice wrapped in a towel.

“What the fuck happened to you?” I laughed. He moved the towel away to show a nice red mark across his face that was sure to be swollen by morning.

“I don’t know what you’re laughing at” he retorted. “Was that yours I just saw running out the door?”

I shrugged. “Yeah.”

I looked out the window and saw Mary Jane and Payton running across the road and getting into a car.  “Want another drink?” I asked grumpily.

I ordered another round of drinks and looked around the room for another girl, but there was no other girl in the room that took my fancy so I decided to head home.