Learning To Love Again Chapter 15

When we got back to the hospital, Thomas went straight down for a scan and then to surgery to remove the shrapnel from his back and Jackson followed him down to have the knife removed. Luckily he was still breathing, so he was still alive, but time was critical. The next morning, they were both out of surgery and talking. I went to see Thomas first.

“Hi, mummy” He said, smiling as I walked through the door. I ran up to him and cuddled him.

“Are you okay, baby?” I asked. “Can you move your feet?” That was the most important question. Thomas loved running around. He was such an active child. Not being able to walk would be horrible for him. Thomas looked confused.

“Yes, mummy.” He smiled, pointing towards his feet and wiggled his toes. I was so happy and so proud, I cried.

“What’s wrong, mummy? Are you sad?” Thomas asked when he saw me crying.

“No, darling. I’m really happy.” I smiled and hugged him until he fell asleep.

Next, I went to see Jackson. When I walked in, he was asleep, so I sat on the chair next to his bed and held his hand.

“I’m sorry you had to go through all this” I said to him. “I never meant for you to get caught up in all this, I didn’t want this for you. I should have realised that Alex wouldn’t leave without a fight. You don’t need all this shit.” I stood up and kissed him on his forehead. “I’ll come and see you later when you’re awake”. I got up and started walking away when I felt his hand tighten and he spoke.

“Stay” I turned around and looked at him. “I like listening to you talk” He smiled.

“Are you okay?” I asked, as I sat back down. He had a black eye and a cut lip, along with a dressing on his stomach where Alex had stabbed him.

“I’m fine” He said, “You look beautiful” he told me as he rubbed his thumb over my cheek.

I smiled a fake smile and sighed. “What’s wrong?” He asked.

“I was so scared” I whispered. “I thought I was going to lose you both.”

“Hey! Hey! You might have thought that. But you didn’t. So, don’t think like that anymore” he whispered back, whilst wiping a stray tear away.  He moved up slightly to kiss me, and I heard him wince.

“Don’t try to move if it hurts” I soothed. He nodded and sat back and shifted slightly to give me space and then held his arms out for me to lie with him.

“What happened to Alex?” He asked, looking at me. Alex hadn’t made it. After he’d turned on the policemen, they’d shot and killed him in the kitchen. I was glad he was out of our lives, but it meant Thomas wouldn’t have his father around.

“He didn’t make it” I told Jackson, hugging him tighter. There didn’t seem to be any need for words after that. We knew what the other was thinking. We just laid there for hours, content to be in each other’s arms. I was just drifting off when I thought I heard something.

“Marry me”. My eyes shot open and I looked at Jackson, who had a slight grin on his face.

“What?” I was shocked. Did he really ask that? Did he really want to marry me? I couldn’t believe it.

 “Marry me” He said again. I had heard right. My heart was pounding again. I didn’t know what to say. 

“Yes!” I said as I felt a smile escape from my lips.