Offenders (11)

As I entered the DAU, I let out a long breath as I leaned against the wall and slid down to take a seat. I suddenly didn’t feel very happy at all.

Tom and I were from two completely different worlds. I didn’t know why I thought I’d be able to date him like nothing was wrong, and my friends had just proved it to me. Not only did they almost give our secret away, but so did I. I couldn’t control my powers, and being around humans was not the best thing for me to do.

Why did Hank and Nay have to send me to high school? I hadn’t even gone to middle school for very long. I was only in sixth grade for a couple of weeks before I was locked away in my room and pretty much homeschooled by a computer.

They said I couldn’t have a relationship with a human. I thought I could make it work. I guess I was realizing that I really couldn’t.

But I didn’t want to stop seeing Tom. I liked him, and both of us felt a connection that we both didn’t understand. I didn’t know why I liked him. There was just something… there that I couldn’t even explain.

I hadn’t liked a guy since elementary school. That had been such a long time ago that I couldn’t even remember how it really felt.

When the front door opened, I was hoping to see Dex. I wanted him to change his mind about going out with that waitress. But I immediately deflated when I saw that it was only Kristie, Aiden, and Anthony.

“Hey, Violet,” Aiden greeted me. “We were just about to go to the exercise room. You want to join?”

It sounded like a tempting offer. Whenever I was angry or upset, I’d go to the exercise room to blow off some steam. But now, I just wasn’t in the mood to go. I had no idea where Dex was and it really bothered me.

I shook my head. “No, thanks.”

“I had a lot of fun today, Violet!” Kristie giggled as she walked by me. “We all should definitely hang out again!”

I didn’t agree with her. We all could have gone out together, sure, but I did not want my friends anywhere near Tom. It’d just be a matter of time until Tom figured out just how different we really were.

“Violet,” Anthony called out when he saw I wasn’t getting up to follow them. “Is everything okay?”

This seemed to be enough to snap me out of my little trance, and I looked up to see my three friends staring down at me in concern. I gulped.

“I’m fine,” I answered, and it wasn’t exactly a lie. I was moping over something that wasn’t really that big of a deal at all. “Just… tired, that’s all.”

That was the excuse everyone used. I was obviously more than just tired.

Aiden and Kristie seemed to believe me, so they continued on their way to their rooms so they could change into exercise clothing. Anthony, however, knew I was lying.

He took a seat next to me, but said nothing. I brought my knees to my chin and wrapped my arms around my legs.

“So…” he started, but said nothing else.

I didn’t even know what I was supposed to say. Was he silently asking me what was wrong, or was he trying to make me feel better by just sitting there? Because the latter was not helping me in the slightest.

“You want to talk?” he finally questioned.

I didn’t really want to, but I knew that talking to someone about what was bothering me would probably make me feel a lot better. So I opened my mouth and then began to blab everything that I had been feeling.