Offenders (29)

I followed after Malicius for what felt like hours, even though I knew it had really only been a few minutes. He was too fast for me to catch up to him, but that didn't matter as long as I could still see him and I knew wherever he ended up. Because Tom would be wherever he stopped.

Finally, Malicius started toward the ground, and I shot right after him. We were finally there.

He crashed through the roof of an old warehouse, causing even more rocks and rubble to come crumbling down with him. I followed through the hole, avoiding any falling debris.

The warehouse was quiet, but I knew Malicius was somewhere inside with me. I just didn't know where. It made me feel really uneasy.

This warehouse had large rocks and boulders scattered all around it, and I could tell that Malicius had planted these here on purpose so if we fought he would definitely have things he could use in the fight.

I was practically walking through a rock maze as I continued to look for Tom. I had no idea where he could have been, and I had no idea where Malicius was hiding either.

When I heard coughing, I stopped dead in my tracks and focused. I highly doubted that Malicius would have been the one coughing, so that only meant one other thing. It was Tom.

I searched around the large warehouse as quickly as I could, wanting to find Tom before it was too late. He could have been anywhere inside, and I had no idea what kind of state he was in.

I was scared. I absolutely hated to admit it, but I was terrified. Not of Malicius or whatever altercation that was to come between us, but whatever had happened to Tom. He was just a human and I had gotten him into such a horrible mess.

Finally, I saw a large mass on the ground that was not a rock like everything else was around me. It was a person.

I vaulted over a rock to get closer quicker, but stopped once I was close enough and really saw what it was.

"Oh, my goodness!" I gasped, clasping my hands over my mouth at what I'd just saw.

There was Tom, laying on the ground with blood dripping down his face from his mouth. His dress shirt was stained with blood from a gash that I was sure was underneath it. He could barely even keep his eyes open.

I crouched down beside him, unable to speak. I could barely even breathe. I squeezed my eyes shut to try to stop the tears, but it didn't help much. Tom was dying right in front of me and I had no idea what I was supposed to do to try to help him.

"Violet..." he rasped, reaching up for me. I took his hand and slowly pushed it back down. I didn't want him wasting any energy, especially on me. "I'm... I'm sorry I didn't show up to the dance."

I shook my head. "No," I sniffed. "You don't have anything to be sorry for..."

I did. This was all my fault. The only reason this was happening to him was because I had shown interest in him. I never should have even tried to have a relationship with him... Hank and Nay tried to warn me. They said nothing good would come out of having any types of relationships with humans.

He was gasping for air; it was too difficult for him to breathe. There was so much blood; it seemed that either Lynx had used her nails to stab him or Malicius had used a rock instead. I couldn't tell, and I honestly didn't want to find out.

"I'm so sorry," I apologized through my tears as the life faded in and out of Tom's eyes. "I'm so sorry that I got you into this... I'm so sorry, Tom..."

He reached up, placing his hand on my cheek. "It's okay," he told me with a smile, but this only made me feel worse. "I'm just... I'm so glad I met you..."