Offenders (20)

Aiden was shocked when he saw Kristie’s hair. She had gotten sent home early for it, so he finally saw it when the rest of us got back to the DAU.

Kristie’s eyes were still red and puffy once we got back. I guess I shouldn’t have expected any differently. Hair was important to a girl. Even I knew that.

“Lynx did this?” Aiden asked Kristie as we all sat in the meeting room while we waited for Hank and Nay. “How did she manage to do that?”

With teary eyes and jagged, blue hair, Kristie told the story, with me filling in any details she may have missed.

“What the hell was the point of doing that?” Aiden demanded, beginning to pace back and forth, as if that somehow would fix everything. “What was the point of doing this to you? It’s not like her hair is a weapon or something!”

This made me think of how Lynx’s hair was her weakness. Did that have something to do with this? I couldn’t see how it could have been.

“That reminds me,” Dex now spoke up, and I wasn’t so sure I wanted to hear what he had to say. I mean, it was Dex. “You’re a shape-shifter. Can’t you just shift your hair back to normal or something?”

Kristie shook her head, more tears filling her eyes. “I can’t shift my appearance permanently. So it’s… it’s stuck like this until my hair grows out.”

“Can’t you just go to the salon or something?” I questioned, since I wasn’t exactly sure how those places really worked since I’d never been to one. Would they be able to fix something like this?

“I can’t walk into a salon like this!” the former redhead wailed. “All the people will laugh at me! I’d rather just shave my head!”

Dex blinked. “Well, you’ll definitely get laughed at then.”

When she started crying again, I elbowed Dex in the side for saying what he had said and making her cry. He gave me a look and I glared at him.

“Well, at least it was just your hair,” Anthony commented, and now I elbowed him in the side. He gave me the same look Dex had. “What? It could have been a lot worse.”

“That may be true, but that doesn’t mean it’s not upsetting,” I snapped, saving Kristie from having to say anything else. This really did bother her and it wasn’t her fault the boys didn’t understand. They were used to having short hair.

The door slid open to reveal Hank and Nay, their eyes going wide when they stepped inside and saw Kristie’s hair.

Hank’s jaw dropped. “What happened?”

Crossing my arms over my chest, I huffed. “Lynx happened,” I answered.

I then told the entire story, since I knew Kristie would only start crying again if she once again had to explain what had happened to her.

Even Hank and Nay seemed surprised by what had happened. It really had come out of nowhere, and none of us had seen it coming. We’d expected them to use their powers to harm us, not play some ridiculous and immature prank.

“We’ll fix your hair, Kristie,” Nay assured her, but this didn’t seem to make the shape-shifter any happier. “I’ll buy you some hair dye and we’ll dye it back.”

Kristie nodded. She looked relieved, but still very upset. I didn’t blame her. She had every right to feel the way she did.

“I’m going to go work out,” I announced, getting up from my seat and making my way toward the door. “Talking about Redrum pisses me off.”