Offenders (19)

“Could you, maybe, get out of my way?”

I turned my head to see who was talking to me, and I wasn’t surprised when I saw that it was Vanessa. Kristie and I continued to jog around the track, but this just wasn’t fast enough for Vanessa.

I moved out of the way so she and her friends could run by, and I bit down on my tongue to stop myself from saying that there was plenty of track she could have used to go around us, but I felt like saying that would not have been the best idea. I’d rather just ignore her completely.

Gym was actually much easier than people said it would be, but I guess that should have been pretty obvious considering all the training and exercising I did at the DAU. It still didn’t mean I liked changing in the locker room, though.

“So, who are you going to the dance with?” Kristie asked as we continued to jog.

I shrugged. “I don’t know,” I answered. “I may not even go.”

This almost made Kristie trip over her own feet. “You may not go?” she nearly screamed, looking offended by what I had just said to her. “What do you mean, you may not go?”

I didn’t really know what I was supposed to say to her considering she had only repeated what I had just said. It wasn’t my fault I hadn’t been asked by hundreds of guys like she had.

“I don’t think dances are really my type of thing,” was how I answered her, since it made me feel a little better about not being asked a bunch like she had.

Lynx ran by us then, and I bit down on my lip because the last thing I wanted was for her to hear us. She was beautiful, so I was sure she’d been asked by a ton of guys as well. Definitely not as many as Kristie, but still plenty.

I was glad when we were finally let back inside the locker room once the run was over. Lunch was next, and I was starving.

Once we were inside the locker room, Kristie started off toward the showers with her soap and shampoo as I made my way toward my locker. It was optional to take a shower after gym, and since I was just going to go home in a few hours to work out even more, I chose not to take a shower, since I never sweat that much during the class anyway.

I took my time to change, since I knew there was no point in dressing quickly because I still wouldn’t be able to make it to the lunch line in time to beat the crowds, especially since I was going to wait for Kristie. So I might as well take my time.

After her shower, Kristie was walking back toward her locker next to mine, a towel wrapped around her body while she used another towel to dry her hair. We were the only ones left in our row of lockers. I thought nothing of this until she removed the towel on her head.

I gasped when I saw her. “Kristie! Your hair!”

“What?” she asked, reaching for a wet strand. “What’s wrong with it?”

I didn’t know what I was supposed to say. Her shiny red hair was now neon blue. Dye ran down her shoulders and stained both of her towels. I just kept staring, dumbstruck.

“Um, get dressed,” I advised, still unable to look away from what had happened to her hair. “Get dressed and then go to the mirrors and look at yourself.”

Kristie gave me a look, but she did as I told her. Luckily, there weren’t many girls left in the locker room, and the few that were left weren’t anywhere near us that they could see. So she was safe… for now.

Kristie hurried off toward the bathroom where mirrors would be, and I was afraid of how she might have reacted. Her red hair was something I had always been jealous of, but now I was really glad that I didn’t have her hair.