Offenders (25)

It continued to snow for the next week, which was something I enjoyed a lot. Even though it was cold, I found snow to be one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen in my entire life.

“It’s frozen water,” Lena said to me once my going on about the snow started to annoy her. “I can literally shoot the same stuff from my fingertips.”

“Actually, you shoot ice,” Anthony corrected.

Lena rolled her eyes. “Thanks, Captain Know-it-All.”

Anthony rolled his eyes at the blonde and turned back to his food. Usually it was nice sitting outside during lunch, but now that it was snowing, it was really cold, even with the multiple layers we all wore. Though I thought the snow was beautiful, the cold was not something I was really a fan of.

“Yo, Violet, can I talk to you for a second?” a new voice suddenly asked, and my friends and I turned to see that Nick had been the source of the sound. Definitely wasn’t something j was expecting.

“Hope he doesn’t ask you to the dance,” Lena smirked. “Since you’re already taken.”

Nick snapped, seemingly disappointed. “Dang it.”

Dex’s eyebrows furrowed. “Hey,” he snapped.

“Just kidding,” Nick waved away with a wide grin. “But it is about the dance though.”

I let out a sigh, pushing myself up from my seat and following Nick away from the table. Honestly, I had no idea what he wanted to talk about. If he wanted to talk about the dance, I didn’t know what it could have been about if he wasn’t asking me.

“So?” I asked once we got far enough away from the table that my friends couldn’t hear us. “What do you want?”

He glanced back at my table full of friends quickly before questioning, “Does Lena have a date to the dance?”

I shrugged. “I don’t think so.”

This seemed to surprise Nick more than anything else, and I guess I didn’t really blame him, considering I had eyes and knew how gorgeous Lena was. I was surprised she hasn’t been continuously asked just like Kristie had before her hair was dyed.

“She’s not going with Anthony?” he asked me now.

Now I was the confused one. “Uh, no? Why would she?”

“I thought they were a thing,” he explained, not seeming very happy at the thought. “Or something like that.”

I shook my head. “Last time I checked, they were not.”

I just couldn’t imagine Lena and Anthony together any more than friends. They bickered a lot and seemed to be close, but not close enough for romance. And I couldn’t sense any romantic feelings from either of them at all.

“Good.” Nick crossed his arms and puffed out his chest a little. “I could barely believe Lena would go for a scrawny shrimp like that kid anyway.”

“Hey,” I snapped, my eyebrows furrowing. “He’s still my friend, you know.”

Nick waved this away as if it didn’t even matter. “Yeah, yeah, yeah,” he drawled, clearly not wanting to talk about Anthony now that he knew he apparently wasn’t competition for Lena. “Think you could talk to Lena about me?”

My face was flat and void of emotion. “Not really.”

“Aw, come on.” Nick made a puppy dog face and laced his fingers together. “Why not?”

I turned away from him and back toward my table, about to start walking about toward it. “It’s not my job to get you a date with Lena,” I told him.