Offenders (24)

It was much colder than it usually was when I woke up the next morning. I looked down at myself to see that I was still covered by my blankets, but for some reason, there was a chill in the room I hadn't ever felt before.

I looked around, expecting to see Lena, but she was nowhere in sight. Kristie still slept across the room from me and everything else hadn't been disturbed. So why was it so cold in here?

I checked the time to see it was eleven. Hank and Nay usually let us sleep in on the weekends now that we were going to school. I'd never slept in this late before.

The tank top and pajama shorts I had chosen to fall asleep in did nothing to help keep me warm as I pushed myself out of bed and made my way toward the door. There had to be a reason it was so cold in here, right?

I opened the door to the hallway and stepped outside, immediately bashing into someone's chest before I could even take two steps out the door.

"Ow," I groaned, rubbing my nose. I looked up at Dex and glared. "Why do you have to be so hard?"

He smirked down at me. "That could be taken in the wrong way."

I didn't get it, but I wasn't about to ask. Chances are I didn't want to know anyway.

"So, are you okay?" Dex asked me now, and it took me a moment to figure out why he was asking me this. I then remembered what had happened in Malicius's classroom the day before. Leaving his classroom like that would sure be a nice surprise for him...

"I'm fine," I answered, even though I wasn't so sure how truthful that really was. "I'm just really cold."

Dex blinked. "That wasn't the response I was expecting, but okay."

"Why is it so freaking cold?" I snapped, rubbing my arms up and down as a chill ran down my spine. "It's never been this cold in the morning."

I turned toward the front door and began down the hall, hoping it would be warmer outside and that the sun would warm me. Dex didn't seem very cold, but he was wearing jeans and a jacket, so of course he was going to be warmer than me.

But when I opened the door, I did not expect what I saw. The ground and everything outside was covered in a thick blanket of white snow as it lightly fell from the sky.

My eyes went wide and my jaw dropped in awe. "Whoa..."

I could barely remember the last time I had seen snow. I'd been very young, so young that I couldn't even remember if it had been when my parents were alive or not. I couldn't even remember how it felt, but here it was being squished under my bare feet.

I couldn't help the big smile that stretched across my face as I suddenly ran out deeper into the snow. The cold no longer bothered me as I ran through the snow.

"Dex, it's snowing!" I called out to him happily, sounding like a child. "It's snowing!"

Dex didn't seem as excited as I was. "Violet, go back inside and get dressed!" he practically scolded. "You're going to get sick!"

"What, are you my mother?" I laughed as I kicked a pile of snow up into the air. "Live a little, will you?"

I couldn't stop laughing, and I suddenly wasn't cold any longer. It was snowing, it was actually snowing, and it all just seemed... so... magical.

I spun around in the snow as it fell around me. I was barefoot and my footprints were scattered in the snow around me. I was just ecstatic. After all the stressful things that had been happening lately, this made me forget about it all. It made me almost feel like I was a kid again.