Offenders (30)

I practically kicked the door open to the DAU, making my way down the familiar hallway to the meeting room, Dex and Kristie following behind me. I must have been going really fast because they had trouble keeping up with me.

I placed my palm against the glass beside the door and it slid open just like it always did. And unsurprisingly, the rest of my teammates and my mentors were there waiting for us.

When we had called them in the warehouse, Hank and Nay both couldn't make it because they were dealing with what had been going on at the school, so they had other members of the DAU come and pick us up. But now, they were here. And I had a lot of questions for them.

I was determined as I made a beeline right for them. They seemed surprised by my sudden entrance.

"What's wrong with me?" I demanded immediately.

Aiden blinked from the chair he was sitting in. "That's a pretty long list."

But Hank and Nay seemed to understand what I was saying. They looked at each other and seemed to be having a conversation with their eyes. This just pissed me off even more.

"Tell me what's wrong with me!" I ordered, my hands balling into fists at my side. "Why did my eyes turn black? Why did my birthmark glow red? Why are these things happening to me."

Nay shook her head. "Violet, right now really isn't the time-"

"I think right now is the perfect time," I interrupted, fed up with not knowing this information about myself.

Both Aiden and Anthony seemed confused, since they had not been in the warehouse when everything had happened to me. But what they thought wasn't what mattered to me right then. I wanted to know what Hank and Nay had been keeping from me.

"Violet..." Nay let out a deep breath as she thought of what to say to me. "We'll tell you everything you need to know in a moment. We have other things we need to take care of right now."

I hadn't realized I was holding my breath until I finally let out a huge gust of breath. I wasn't going to argue with them and tell them they needed to tell me right at that moment. They were going to give me what I wanted and I just had to be patient.

"Fine," I gave in. "Go ahead."

"First, I want the three of you to change," Nay told us, referring to the three of us that had just arrived. "Your clothes are ruined."

Even though I really didn't want to, I did as I was told. It was true that our clothes were ruined from the fights we had had, and I could only imagine how Anthony and Aiden's clothes looked before they came back and changed.

Kristie and I went to our room and Dex went to his. Kristie changed a lot quicker than I did, much to my surprise, and she went back to the meeting room without me. I pulled on a tank top and jeans, turning to look at myself in the mirror once I was done.

I couldn't help but feel disgusted with what I saw in the mirror, and not because of my appearance like I usually was. I was disgusted with my actions. Disgusted with whatever I was. I didn't feel insecure or inadequate any longer. I felt like a monster.

My hair was messy and my makeup was running. I wiped away at it but it did no good. I tried to soothe out my hair with my hands, but that didn't do much either. I needed to take a shower. But I had no time for that right then.

I was the last one of my three teammates to arrive back inside the meeting room, and I was glad that I was so I wouldn't have to wait. I took a seat beside Kristie and waited for Hank and Nay to speak.

Dex leaned against the wall, his arms crossed. He was staring at me. I didn't really know how to react to that.

"We have Lynx in custody," Hank informed us, and I didn't really know how to feel about this information. "Anthony and I stayed behind after we were able to detain her and erased everyone's memory of the event. Everyone now thinks that the gym was destroyed by a fire caused by faulty wiring."