Offenders (27)

Sometimes I wondered if there was anyone else in the school that was superhuman. We'd found Nick, but was there anyone else? I couldn't help but wonder that.

There were tons of kids younger than my friends and me, so they'd yet to be recruited into the DAU if they were going to be. Did they know about the DAU, did they know about Redrum? Were they keeping it a secret as well?

It made me pay attention to a lot of my classmates. I had no idea who was human or superhuman. It was less common to be superhuman than human, but it was hereditary so if their parents were superhuman, the children could be as well.

Kristie played with her hair as my friends and I sat together at lunch. The purple had began to fade and Nay played on trying to dye it again before the dance. Since it was a lighter color than the blue, she believed it was more likely to go back to normal.

"So, guess who's going to be a chaperone at the dance," Aiden frowned as he sat down at the table with the rest of us.

"Who?" I asked.

"Malicius," he answered.

"Malicius is chaperoning the dance?" I questioned with a roll of my eyes. "Of course he is."

"Malicius?" Nick blinked, confused. "Who's Malicius?"

I nearly swallowed my tongue. I'd forgotten. Even though Nick was superhuman like my friends and me, he had no idea about the DAU or Redrum or that one of the most popular teachers at the school was actually evil.

"Malicius is the nickname we have for Mr. Grand," Anthony explained smoothly. It was moments like this where I was really glad we had a genius on our team. "Dex tried to call him malicious but instead of spelling it M-A-L-I-C-I-O-U-S, he spelled it M-A-L-I-C-I-U-S."

"Hey," Dex snapped, clearly annoyed that the lie made him look like an idiot.

"Mal-iss-ee-us," Nick sounded out, and I really wanted to stop talking about this is case someone else heard. "That just sounds weird."

I let out a sigh of relief when Nick dropped it after that. He might have known we had powers, but who knew how he'd react if he knew about the DAU? Lena wasn't happy that she hasn't been recruited. A lot of people weren't happy, I was sure. Lynx was one of them, and so were other members of Redrum. If you didn't get recruited, you most likely went to Redrum. I didn't want Nick to be like that.

"Yo, Nick!" a voice suddenly called out, and we turned to see someone I didn't recognize calling him over. "Come over here a second, will you?"

Nick rolled his eyes but got up and did as his friend asked. Anthony then seemed to jump at the opportunity to speak now that Nick was gone.

He cleared his throat. "So... Lynx asked me to the dance."

I nearly choked on my salad. "What?"

"Lynx just asked me to the dance," he repeated.

I didn't really know what I was supposed to say. Lynx had asked me a while before if Anthony had a date to the dance, but I never thought she was actually being serious. But now it seemed like she was.

"You didn't say yes, did you?" I finally asked.

"I'm not an idiot, Violet," he told me as he rolled his eyes.

"He's right; he's not," Dex shrugged.

"I know she had an ulterior motive to asking me," he informed us with a shrug. He then looked down and muttered, "A girl like that wouldn't be interested in me anyway."

I seemed to have been the only one who heard him and he clearly hadn't wanted any of us to actually hear it, so I stayed quiet and acted like I didn't hear a thing.