Chapter XXI

• Dedicated to Lizzie

A/N

sorry it's quite a short chapter, but exams have just finished so I felt that I had kept you waiting long enough for this chapter! this chapter is dedicated to a cat called Lizzie. I only every met you once Lizzie, but you were an amazing cat, and the mother to an absolutely gorgeous kitten. Your owner is an amazing friend and we will all miss you with all of our hearts. @marybethp I am sorry for your loss. it must be hard, but stay strong xx I'll always be here for you xxx 

Also just a note to say thank you for getting me to 1,500 reads. It's more than i could have ever imagined and I am so thrilled with all of your support xx

Ali

xxx

**************************Katie’s P.O.V ****************************

“What tomorrow, tomorrow?” I ask so confused as to what is happening.

“Yes! Tomorrow” he says firmly.

“I don’t think I understand.” I reply sounding like a confused toddler, “why are we leaving?”

“They’re onto us.” Peter sighs. “We’ve just been on the news. They know we are in San Diego.”

I stare at peter blankly while what he has just said sinks in.

“Oh.” I say trying to hold myself together, “what time do we have to leave?”

“Before dawn – probably about five in the morning.” Peter replies, his voice broken and monotone.

“Okay.” I reply trying to keep myself as calm as possible, “I’ll see you then.”

“Katie?” Peter asks as I am walking out of the door.

“Yes?” I reply.

“You are one special person.” He says. “Not many people could handle this. You can. You are so special.”

“Not really,” I say shying away, “I’ve only done what any normal person would have done.”

“No, Katie.” Peter says. “You haven’t, you are too special to do the actions of any normal person.”

Peter speaks with such feeling, even though it is clear to me that his eyes are dead. I leave Peter’s room and head back to mine. I leap onto the bed tears streaming down my face. It’s wrong. Everything. I’ve ruined everyone’s life. Everyone who has every cared for me has been hurt by my actions. For a second I consider leaving. I consider writing a note to Peter saying that I’ve handed myself in. At least then he could just claim he went on holiday and coincidentally I vanished on the same night to the same place. Okay so maybe that won’t work. I just can’t think of a way to stop this without anyone getting hurt. Maybe there is no way. I turn the small TV in the corner of the room on. I flick through the channels and find the news. It’s strange to see your name all over the screen, Peter’s accused of murdering me. For a second I wonder that if my mum was here what she would think. Then I think to myself that she was never my mum. I wonder that if I was adopted if my birth mum is still alive, and if she knows that the name circling on her screen is that of her daughter’s. Probably not. The thought itself is enough to spur me on. To make me want to find my files even more. The thought makes me want to know who my birth mum is. It reignites the fire in me to get the files. My files.

I turn the TV off, the spinning names making me dizzy. I get my alarm clock and set the alarm for 4:30, this will give me chance to get everything sorted in the morning. I find a pair of pyjamas and put them on. I can’t bear the thought of getting in the dirty bed that people have done god knows what in and so grab a small travel blanket from my bag and place it over myself as I lie on top of the bed.

Tomorrow I will find my place in the world. Tomorrow my life will make sense. Tomorrow I will finally belong.

**************************Abbey’s P.O.V***************************

I come around once again to nurses rushing around, pushing buttons and pressing things against my body. I try and speak but nothing comes out. I try and move but I cannot I try and get up but I cannot. I close my eyes.

**************************** Katie’s P.O.V **************************

The sound of the alarm wakes me up. I slept surprisingly well all things considered. I pack everything up into my bag and get changed into some clothes. It dawns on me that I actually don’t have any more clean clothes left after today, as my case wouldn’t hold any more. I go across to Peter’s room and knock on the door.

“Hi Katie,” he says as I walk through the door. “We better get going.”

I can’t help but notice how warn down he looks. He is just a shell. A shell of one amazing man who practically sacrificed everything for me. We go down to reception and pay the person on the desk on the way out. We put our bags in the car and I smile at Peter as he climbs into the front of the car.

“So, LA here we come?” I ask

“LA here we come.” Peter confirms. “LA or bust.”

I can’t help but note the sadness Peter has in his voice as he says this.

We drive off to get on the motorway going towards LA. I fall asleep on the way, clearly due to the lack of sleep I had last night, even though I thought I had done pretty well on the level of sleep I had obtained. When I wake up we are nearly in LA. I had been asleep for nearly two hours.

“Did you have a nice rest?” Peter smirks

“Yes thanks,” I reply a hint of sarcasm in my voice, “didn’t sleep very well last night – don’t know why. Maybe it’s because there were bed bugs in my bed, along with god knows what.”

“Oh well I’m sorry that San Diego doesn’t have the Ritz.” He says even more sarcastically than I had ever heard him say anything before. “Maybe next time I’ll make sure I book at least five star accommodation.”

I must look slightly hurt by the sharpness in his voice, as Peter apologises almost instantly after his remark.

“Sorry.” He says.

“Don’t sweat it.” I reply.

“So do you actually have any idea on where my files are?” I ask.

“Actually,” Peter says. “I do.”

The car slows to a stop outside a building.

“Right here.” Peter says.

***********************************************************************************************************************

A/N

the song for this chapter is in memory of Lizzie.

Wish you were here

by

Avril Lavigne

R.I.P Lizzie xxxxxx