Chapter XIII

Chapter XIII

*************** Jake's P.O.V ****************

Abbey ran out of the room giggling. She must've liked what I did there. The way I placed my hand further up her leg every time she giggled. I took the whisky from the floor and swigged a huge gulp. The burn wasn't that bad, I mean I was used to it. Isn't every 18 year old London boy? I wonder how old abbey actually is. She seems about 17, but you can never be sure. I looked around the room. What to do next? There wasn't much in here. Except for my booze that was keeping everybody happy. This was Abbey's first day here today. I wonder whether the Dutch courage had helped her prepare for her training, I mean she seemed a little pissed, but she was taking pretty big gulps from the bottle and by the looks of it she doesn't drink much alcohol; if any. Did she say what her training was for? If she did I can't remember. Did she ask me what mine was for? I can't remember that either. I took another swig from the bottle. Maybe, I thought, I should stop drinking because usually I don't forget this much in one day. However that thought got overruled when the temptation became too great. What was my first day of training like? I can remember it clearly. I was about 14. When I entered this very building, fear flooding through me and confusion of what I knew I could do, what other people could not know. Why they could not know.

***************************************************************************************************************

I looked up at the big abandoned warehouse. The ones you only ever hear about in movies. I stepped through the door. The irony was that my friends and I had been in a house like this closer to home, and we had gone into it out of choice. We hadn't even looked back when we walked through, and we didn't even know if it would be dangerous or not. We didn't know if someone would be lurking in the depths of the abandoned house waiting to grab us. We didn't know if the floor would give way due to wood rot. I know that entering this warehouse will most definitely not be dangerous, but I find myself more anxious than I was when I entered the house with my future uncertain. No wait. I'm not anxious. Boys don't get anxious. I don't even know why I was worried. I suppose it was because deep down I knew that this trip would seal my fate. Once I had taken this training session, I would not be able to go back. I can't go back anyway. Even if I didn't go through with this training session. Could I? I mean I could start a new life. I could run away where nobody knew I existed. But deep down I know I can't.

Once I have gone a little further into the warehouse, I see the man whom I met a few weeks back. The day that I knew. The day that turned my life upside down and inside out and re-wrote it like it was back to front.

"Hi there, erm... was it... jay?" he asked

"Jake." I replied. Stony faced and slightly pissed off that all he'd said was a measly 'hi there' and couldn't even be bothered to remember my name. Especially after the news that he'd told me.

"Oh yes. You look ever so like you're father." Simon added, trying to cut the atmosphere.

I flinched. My dad hadn't been mentioned in years. He left when I was born. Mum never talks about it. She called him a useless asshole, that wouldn't appreciate anything good if it kicked him up the ass. When she does talk about him it's always derogatory, so I've stopped listening. I don't want to judge a man I've barely met, and can't remember; even if he is the man my mother says he is.

"I wouldn't know. I've never seen a photo of him. I can't even remember him" I reply turning away. Not wanting Simon to comment on my face again.

"Of course you can't, I remember now. It's all coming back to me. I used to be best friends with your dad, and another man, his name was Phil. Phil an I were extraordinarily close and that's why the thing that I'm about to mention makes me confused completely. Just after you were born Phil and your dad had a huge argument and I haven't seen them since. They left without a word. They knew you were born and still they upped it and left. I believe Phil's wife was with child as well." He tells me a look of despair on his face. A look of anger and betrayal on mine. I grimace at the thought of my dad leaving me knowing that I was alive and not telling anyone.

"What was the argument about? It must have been about something pretty serious or else they wouldn't have gone away." I ask.

"To put it bluntly. You." He says. Then he adds "well not just you, you and another 3 people around your age."

"Me. it was my fault that my dad left?" I say dumbfounded and uncertain of what to make of this new news.

"No. it wasn't your fault but they left because of you. And the other 4 people I mentioned earlier." He went on "you know how you have this ability to know things. Things that you shouldn't know? Well your dad created you so that you could do that. He made you so that when you grew up you would be special. You are genetically modified, Jake. You and 3 others. Your dad and Phil created the modified gene and implanted it into 3 babies. You, Phil's child, and another child. The third is unknown to us as of yet. Your father had to go, Jake. I don't know why but he had to run. And you might have to join him if you don't go through with this training. If anyone finds out what you can do, you could be in grave danger. You and your father".

The room fell silent. It was my dad who had done this to me. My dad and some other guy. Why? Why me? What for? Why did they do this? I felt my blood start to boil and in that moment in time I knew that I had to find the 3 other people who were like me. We had to find my dad and Phil and we had to discover the reason behind our existence.

***************************************************************************************************************

My flashback drew to a close. I took a deep breath, It hurt remembering what had gone through my mind all those years ago. I hadn't succeeded in my challenge. There was still one more person to find. One more ability to discover. One more life to save. There is going to be only one chance to find Phil and my dad. We must not take that chance likely. We must be ready. That is what this training is for. For when we try and find my dad. The resources we will need.

Abbey does not know that Phil is her dad. I can tell that when I read her. The memories echo uncertainty. There is no father figure. I feel Abbey's pain. I can't remember my dad. I don't want to remember my dad. He ruined my life. He ruined 3 innocent people's lives. Without their approval.

Just then Simon storms in.

"What the hell do you think you're playing at?" he screams "playing an innocent girl like that".

"She is my age." I reply my voice raspy and harsh "who are you her father?... I don't think so."

"no.. I'm not her father." He replies sadly "but I do know that you need to keep away from her."

"Why? She seems to like it." I say to him an edgy quality to my voice.

"she has a boyfriend." He says to me and walks out.

I sit there in silence for a bit. The girl that I really liked, okay I've only known her for a little bit, but I know that I liked her, a lot. I felt that I could trust her. But now I realise that I can't. I couldn't. I never will be able to again. How stupid can one individual be? Answer: very.

***************************************************************************************************************

A.N

thank you all, nearly at 1000 reads.

hope you like this chapter.

Mr.Brightside

by

The Killers

xxxxx

Ali

xxxxx