Resemblance

I was lying to myself when I said that I could put the catastrophe of the day behind me. My walk home was bombarded with thoughts of him. How could he even think of ‘asking’ me to spend a night with him. In front of that specific, judgemental audience. The audacity and humiliation on my behalf! I don’t look that desperate, do I? I kept asking myself the same questions over and over again. The money would, for sure, come in handy but I am certainly not that type of person. I didn’t even know why I was even thinking about his comments. They were unnecessary and uncalled for. I stopped in front of a shop window and checked my reflection in the mirror. I looked carefully at myself, trying to find something that would say ‘prostitute’. Was it my face? My hair? My clothes? 

I had no idea why I was thinking this, I may not be rich but I always carry myself decently and with dignity. I have always tried to dress modestly, in clothes I feel comfortable in. I did not dress for someone else's enjoyment at this moment in time - it was all about comfort for me. Regardless of my dress sense, I don’t even want that kind of money. This Xavier Manhattan may be hot, and someone way out of my league but I am certainly not that low of a standard. He’s a real life bastard who spoiled my sisters life.

Even though I knew this, my thoughts somehow still wandered to him

Xavier’s POV

“What were you thinking, Xavier?” Max fumed when we were seated in the car away from the restaurant. I didn’t bother answering him, he wouldn’t understand and I did not want to tell him. I turned my head, instead, and looked out at the window. It was just a blur of colour that faded into one. We sat stationary for a few minutes, the sounds of the cars offering a distraction from the obvious anger being emitted from Max. “Xavier,” he said but I just stayed silent and wallowed in my own misery. “Oh give it a break, you cannot give me the silent treatment. You’re not my wife, for God’s sake!” Max huffed and puffed, his arm failing in the air. Although he could not move much as his seatbelt was restraining him. 

“Max, just drop it,” I spoke sternly, still looking at the window. I was not looking at anything specifically, I found that I could not focus. My thoughts just kept going back to her, I couldn’t help myself as much as I tried to stop.

“Are you crazy, you literally insulted her in front of everyone!”  He took off his seatbelt and faced me, his eyes wide with anger. 

“No one heard us, I was not that loud,” I stated to him, even though I knew it was a load of bullshit. 

“Are you kidding me?” He all but screamed in my direction. He was on the verge of a breakdown and I knew that I had severely pissed him off, he closed his eyes and tried to slow down his breathing. “All I bloody wanted was a catchup meal with an old friend, obviously I chose the wrong one to share it with,” he said with a withering stare in my direction.

After a minute he turned towards me but with a softer expression in his eyes. 

“Tell me Xavier, what goes on in your mind. Do you think before you act? You never act in such a way and this is the first time you have ever insulted a woman, a decent one at that. I don’t understand you anymore,” he said disappointingly. 

I just stared ahead with my palms clenched, he had no idea what he was talking about or meddling with my affairs. 

“Max, where should I drop you?” I said coldly ignoring his questions, I couldn’t deal with more interrogation and I wanted a good alcoholic drink to forget the events of the past few of hours coupled with the memories that have come flooding back. 

I did not have to look at him to feel the death glare being directed my way, I could feel it. I knew he was beyond angry and I did not blame him but instead of answering anything, I stayed fixated on the view outside the window.