Surprise Surprise

My heart was beating like a drum in shock. I felt like my crush for 4 years had called me saying that he loved me. You know those butterflies and the fast heartbeat as well as the eye in the spark, yup that's it. Without delaying it further, I answered the call, "Hello," I whispered. I may have sounded composed but my insides were screaming with joy.

"Love..." His deep velvety voice sounded so stressed, so pained. I wasn't able to say anything for a moment. I was dwelling in the moment of imagining his lips, soft and warm. It took everything I had not to shiver.

"Erica, are you there?" He asked again.

"Ye-yes! I'm there, sorry I..."

"I miss you, love." He spoke in such a low voice, almost a whisper.

"I miss you too Xavier," I whispered back, trying to keep calm but soon my eyes became foggy and my cheeks began turning red. Tears flowed down my cheeks before I could stop them.

"I don't think I'll be able to make it back this month." He sighed but I felt something inside of me shatter. I was looking forward to him coming back as I was barely holding it together, but I knew it was just as bad for him. "It's okay Xavier," I managed to say, "Maybe we can meet next month right? Just..." I calculated how many days we were to be apart, "52 days more..." I told him in a soft voice, but it came crashing down to me. Fifty-two days without him. Without his touch, without his presence.

"You okay?" He asked in a worried tone. No Xavier I'm not, just come back, but I replied in a peppy voice, "Totally! I'm super-duper okay" I laughed, I swore it was the fakest laugh I could ever muster up. I heard him sigh, I knew he didn't buy it.

"Are you with dad? I called him but he didn't pick up my phone call."

"Oh no, I'm at mom's. I wanted to stay with her for a while." I told him and suddenly the conversation I just had with Sophia came back to my mind.

"That's great love. I wish I was there."

Me too.

"You know Sophia is here-" I began talking animatedly, glad that I could talk to him finally but he spoke again, "Erica I'm sorry, I really have to go. I'll call you again as soon as I'm free. Bye, I love you." He spoke hurriedly and then hung up.

It took me a while to comprehend what had just happened. I checked my phone again to confirm if he had actually hung up on me. Yup, he did. I did not imagine married life to turn out like this, never in my wildest dreams. Everyone tells me it's worth it, but they don't know what I'm feeling. They never will.

"Erica!" I heard my mother yell from downstairs.

"Coming mom!" I yelled back. I wanted to cry my eyes out but I chose not to. I don't want mom to worry too much in this age. I got up from the bed but my legs felt like jelly. I walked downstairs and into the dining room to see Sophia seated beside a still sleepy Serenity. She was feeding her chicken making sure there were no bones, but Serenity kept on closing her eyes.

"Siri sit up!" Sophia scolded Serenity

Mom sat on the head chair and smiled as she saw me, "Come sit," She gestured for me to sit on the chair next to her. I looked at Sophia who did not even look up from her plate as I sat.

"Wow, I missed this," I smiled at mom, I haven't eaten her handmade food for a long time.

"What are you waiting for then? Let's start eating!" Mom clapped her hands and began serving. After eating I headed towards the bathroom but stopped when I heard low voices from inside. I scooted towards the bathroom to hear better but suddenly the door swung open. Serenity walked out, her fine hair pulled back with rhinestone daisy clips.