Regret(ThatchxReader)*

The moment he left her behind was nothing like the moment he heard those words spill from their mouth.

"Are you looking for (Y/N)? I'm sorry, but it's been a few days since she passed."

The division commanders surrounded him hoping to give him a conclusion of some sort. 'Just please make this a dream, make it so when I wake up she's still by my side.' Was all he could think, the words went in one ear and continued to play over in his head.

"Thatch, take it easy--" the first division commander was shocked at the the fourth commander's unusual reaction. He kept mumbling under his breathe and then took several heavy steps forward.

"T-Thatch, are you alright?" Ace, the second division commander questioned wanting to comfort his nakama but failed as the chef's heavy steps turned into a full sprint towards the tall trees that resided on the island.

He made sure not to turn back to take in the expressions of the others around him. Before he knew it, he had ran to the place that had once inhabited his old love. Memories flooded back to him.

"Thatch, say 'ah,'" a (H/C) haired woman in front of him held a spoon as he hesitantly allowed the action.

"I'm not a child, (Y/N), I can feed myself," he whined as you just giggled. "But I'll let it slide because I love you," he placed a kiss on your forehead.

You let out a soft giggle and continued to mix in various spices into your dish. Thatch and you both worked hard to open a restaurant within the small island both of you grew up on.

All that hard work paid off when you both saved enough to buy that diner that you both admired since you were little tykes and now adults.

Most of the money went into renovating the restaurant and such so Thatch then decided to build a house in which both of you would live in. Just a roof over both of your heads would be enough, correct?

Turns out building an actual home would be out of his range and you took it in your hands to do the actual constructing. If Thatch were the one building everything, you were afraid that once you stepped in, everything would have collapsed.

He took in these memories and fought back the scent  of nostalgia that would bring tears to him. He noticed small cracks and dents in the home that were part of memories. His memories. Your memories. 'Our memories.'

"Old man, why do you keep telling everyone that I 'passed?'"

Maybe he was hearing voices but for a second he believed that speech belonged to you. When he left to pursue his dreams of cooking on the sea, you supported him.

"Thatch, never regret your dreams."

You would say.

"Whad'ya mean? I told the guy that you went pass this island and to the second restaurant you had built! I thought he was sailing to that one to see ya!"

"You can't just word it like that!" The door swung open and Thatch's eyes widened, realizing the misunderstanding. Everything fell into place as you stepped into the house.

"Thatch!" You cried before you completed your statement, you were already in his arms. "Are ya' that excited to see me?" You laughed. He left the most sloppiest kisses across your face as you tried to remove yourself from his grasp. "Eww, Thatch! You're getting spit all over me!"

Finally, he ended that emotional reunion but was never able to let himself let go of you, instead he carried you back to the restaurant. "I'm never letting you go," he deadpanned as you just nodded, agreeing with this embrace he had you in.

"Well, you gotta let me go when you go out to sea again," you reasoned, he didn't reply, only finally setting you down in front of the commanders.

Even if both of you weren't legally married, both of you were recognized as significant others by the church of your island and by the pastor of said church as well. 'Why would you inform the government of your personal life?' Was what Thatch stated.

"You must be the youngest of the group!" You looked to Ace, this was the first time you saw him, "And the most handsome," you teased the young man as he only blushed.

You ignored the deathly aura of the fourth commander. "Marco! C'mere babe you hugged him. Is everyone here hungry?"

They all caused a ruckus as they followed you into the diner. Both you and Thatch were in the kitchen cooking like old times. "Do you ever miss us doing this together?" He said what you were thinking, truly you wanted to be the one to ask this. But if you did, he might regret his decision years ago.

You only nodded your head, "Of course, don't you?" He mocked your response as you only played a small smile.

"Then, would you consider going out to sea with me?"